Author Topic: Theory, No Proof, BS, Not Proven  (Read 22421 times)

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Theory, No Proof, BS, Not Proven
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2010, 11:25:45 AM »
How would you guys define the phrase "paired up"?

surely, coyotes are not solitary before mating season, correct?

Renny

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2010, 11:26:14 AM »
So where do they go when not in denning seaon?  Nomad?  What about dispersal?  They have to end up somewhere.......  and if they return to the same areas arent these "core" areas?

Renny

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2010, 11:35:16 AM »
I see alot of single coyotes throughout the year actually the majority of the time.  paired up = mated pair.... not family units in my book.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2010, 11:37:05 AM »
So where do they go when not in denning seaon?I think they run their normal home range and fringes of others  Nomad? Maybe the younger males are What about dispersal? I think the younger males disperse the most, and will go till they find a gap to fill  They have to end up somewhere.......  and if they return to the same areas arent these "core" areas?If these "same areas" are subject to change, why do we call them "core"? aren't they just the best areas that they can find for now?

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2010, 11:39:02 AM »
I see alot of single coyotes throughout the year actually the majority of the time.  paired up = mated pair.... not family units in my book.
Do you think a pair that will mate this febuary will still be hunting together in August?

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2010, 11:41:05 AM »
" paired up = mated pair.... not family units in my book."

Wait a minute,
me and my wife are a mated pair, and she IS in my family unit

Renny

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2010, 11:48:36 AM »
LOL...You have litters too?  J/K  I mean paired up = alpha m + f.  not the whole fam damily.  What do your mean by paired up UB?

Do you think a pair that will mate this febuary will still be hunting together in August?

Most of the time.... no.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 12:00:25 PM by Renny »

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2010, 12:03:30 PM »
I want to make it clear that I respect EVERYONES opinion
I just like to throw in things that I have personally seen, to show you why my opinion is sometimes different.

I have seen tracks of a single coyote, working the east side of a thicket
and another set of a single working just inside the west side of the same thicket.
maybe the one in the thicket would stir the prey up and get the scent up in the air
and the one on the outside of the thicket would be the poster, so to speak.
Maybe this is why some only see the one coyote.

Also, I've seen 4 coyotes leaving a golden rod field, just after sun up, single file, the day after Christmas,
headed into really thick cover on a southern exposed hillside.

Out of these 4 coyotes, that time of year, what was each coyotes family role?

uncle buck

« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2010, 12:03:55 PM »
The young are dispersed in Sept...They travel the river banks of our major water system and even the railroads from Point A to Point B..

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2010, 12:07:42 PM »
LOL...You have litters too?  J/K  I mean paired up = alpha m + f.  not the whole fam damily.  What do your mean by paired up UB?

Most of the time.... no.

So do you think the alpha m+f split up?
Disperse to different ranges?
Why will they not stay together?

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2010, 12:10:39 PM »
The young are dispersed in Sept...They travel the river banks of our major water system and even the railroads from Point A to Point B..

UB do you think the young males and females disperse evenly at the same rate ( all young disperse)?

Do you think they only travel major river beds and railroads?

uncle buck

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2010, 12:20:57 PM »
I don't think they all travel the river beds and railroads.. However it sure is a safe way to go from Point A to Point B... I think this is how all the bear get into populated areas without getting killed by cars too.. 

As far a young male and female dispersal?  Remember now... many of our coyotes have wolf genes.  Could it be that we keep thinking of them as the coyote out West and their family units are that of like a wolf pack.. Look at the NH study...I think the young lady doctor tracks them and they are living as a group or pack..

When I speak of Pairing Up...I was thinking more on the line how red fox pair up..Again are the Pa coyotes more like the wolf instead of the coyote out west and do hang out in Packs..

This year when calling fox and using the woodpecker sound...Twice now in two different area of SCPA... They ...the coyotes responded with howls... One howl being high pitched the other lower pitched..  I knew it was at least two coyotes both times..     

Renny

« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2010, 12:28:36 PM »
If it was all set in stone and easy there would be no reason to even have this discussion.. or forum for that matter.

Again... I think every scenerio is different as is every coyote and thats what makes them so interesting.

I've had a coyote in a trap many many times and know for a fact there was no others around because of sign in snow.  I can take a part of that coyote and catch another in the same set or one nearby within a night or two and often it is one of the opposite sex.  This is usually in late fall or winter.  Is it the mate?  idk. but its easy to assume it is.  If it only takes that short amount of time for a coyote to find its presumed mates spot where it took its last breath it sure wasn't far, but I'm positive it wasn't with it either.

This is where I think coyote vocalization plays a huge roll to the predator hunter........

uncle buck

« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2010, 12:34:29 PM »
Remember this...When you get busted by a coyote...They will start barking at you...The best thing to get them to come to you then is to hit them with the coyote pup.   I don't care if  it's Feb....Many times I get them to come back...Do the pup...be it with an open reed call or on electronics. Play it or do the coyote pup for about a good minute and then shot up...However get ready!!!!!!!Hence coyote vocalization like Renny said is deadly....

PS. KIYI works too..It's your call...Maybe give them both but not together wait 8 minutes in between...Both should be done for 1 minute and then silence!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 12:36:04 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2010, 12:49:04 PM »
Ub
I don't think they always bark when they bust you.
wait 8 minutes?
both should be done for 1 minute then silence?
That is too specific for me.
I don't even wear a watch.
I don't believe anything is gospel, especially my own opinions.
Maybe the only "definite" in a coyotes behavior is that nothing is definate

No offense intended
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 12:49:58 PM by Leglifter »