Author Topic: Good fox calls?  (Read 3581 times)

Offline Kyle5865

• Junior Forum Member
Good fox calls?
« on: November 06, 2014, 02:43:58 AM »
What's some good calls to get the fox moving and make them wanna come in. I've been hunting areas where I know the fox and coyotes are both at, yet they don't wanna make noise back or even come close to the call. Tried many different calls and tried different setup locations. I just wanna have some fun and put some fur down. Anyone know how to help or what might be going on?

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Good fox calls?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 06:48:24 AM »
First of all, are you calling reds or grays ?  I hunt mostly reds in York County.  As most will agree, the number one rule to calling is ... They have to be there.  Some areas just don't have a lot of fox.  I've also found that when the coyotes are around, the Reds seem to leave the area and go into hiding

Check the boards and hook up with a member to go out and hunt with.  I'm in York.  If you want to head out sometime, hit me up
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Kyle5865

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 03:10:06 PM »
I'm calling about anything that will come in. I know fox are there but I also know coyotes are there. I trap in this area also and had a fox dig up one of my traps. I've heard coyotes howling before and actually had some come in but never saw them. The good thing about the area I hunt is that they stock pheasants in this area so it is easy food for predators. Bad thing is that it usually gets hunted hard when they stock. I just don't know if I'm doing something wrong setup wise or maybe not hitting the right calls.

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 04:33:24 PM »
Kyle
  If they are walking around with fat bellies, try some curiosity calls. You still haven't said which is predominant, red or grey.
  Grey fox pup distress is good for the grey. Mouse squeaks great for reds.
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 07:14:46 PM »
If you are confident that fox are in that area, in reasonably decent numbers, maybe it is not so much what call you are using but maybe other things. How is your approach to your stands? Are you skylining yourself on the horizon? Are you playing the wind right? Do you scan with your light the entire walk in? Not that it is ever easy, because as we know predator hunting/trapping can be very humbling, but this time of year for reds ( I can't help with Greys) simple squeaks or distress calls should work fairly well and at least produce eyes..theres a bunch of stuff on here to read and learn and many people on here with much more experience than me. Another thing, as we are starting to see a trend here this season where I hunt, coyotes can possibly be a culprit of not seeing fox. We are seeing less reds on stands and we have heard or encountered more coyotes than before. Is it a coincidence? Time will tell. Also, coyotes will often stay silent and not respond to vocals..they will simply just come in..and be gone..without you even knowing. Hope this helps a little. Good luck.
PPHA President

Offline Kyle5865

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 07:44:13 PM »
Around where I hunt we have all kinds. Some of the places I hunt, there are more red fox than gray. I know one of my stands I have a gray fox running around. Some of the other sets I know there are fox there but I do not know what type is there. Last night, I setup in the woods and used a quiet rodent distress call. Nothing happened after about 3 minutes. I heard the gray fox barking the night before when not even calling and I don't know why that would be but then after my rodent distress, I tried a raining red bird and the gray fox lit up and starting barking and trotted right into my set. Never got a shot but could hear him standing there barking behind trees.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 09:28:51 PM »
Sounds like you are having success.  Not every set will produce results.  If there is a lot of calling pressure, that will educate them.
     In my opinion fox will respond because of a couple reasons:  curiosity,  hunger , and to protect their territory.  Bird sounds work good on reds along with high pitch cotton tail.   But if they have been fooled by those sounds before,  they will be wise to it and will take more coaxing.  Lower your volume and don't play to loud. 
Jake
York, PA

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 08:59:06 PM »
Hit them with  5 minutes of constant  bulb squeaking...Wind in your face... Lights on at all times,  just get legal don't walk in far,  when you go to the next food sound think BABY,,,Baby  cottontail, Baby jackrabbit, Baby Woodpecker..I have been doing well with the bulb squeaker and the baby sounds so far this year... I called in 1 gray and 6 red so far and have only be out twice myself. took two other people the other night we saw nothing.. All it takes is if you hunt with someone they talk or slam the car doors when you get there...  try some solo hunts by yourself and do what Dreamcather said about Gray Fox Pup and Field Mice sounds... Before you do the GFP always do a food sound.. Grays and reds will come to that if they are there.. If nothing appears then do the GFP!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 09:00:49 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 10:53:22 PM »
Uncle Buck,  great words of wisdom.  I was out last night with Bowman and that's exactly how we started.  I actually keep 2 bulb squeakers in my pocket, and switch back and forth with them, sometimes using both at the same time.
     After about the 3 minute mark we had one show its self about 250 yards out.  I kept on the squeaker and it didn't take that red long to close the distance.  Just a short time later a second red cam in from behind us.  long story short,  we had two dead fox on the very first set using only a bulb squeaker.
     A lot of people don't realize how well a fox can hear and start off calling too loud. 
Jake
York, PA

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 05:52:12 PM »
Ha last night we called in a red with lip squeal and and another rabbit on a open reed call.  however I wish I had a dollar for every predator I have called in with a bulb squeaker.. Like I said above... 5 minutes of constant squeaking and they are there...