Author Topic: scopes  (Read 3354 times)

Offline doc holliday

• Junior Forum Member
scopes
« on: September 20, 2014, 12:12:21 PM »
Im new to the forum and predator hunting. Looking for a new scope for my 22-250 with leupold being scope of choice. Just wondering  what power would be a good choice for daylight and night time? Im from north central pa so I wouldn't have alot of long shots. Any info would be very helpful and apperciated.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: scopes
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 12:41:36 PM »
Leupold is a great choice.   I use a Leupold VX II  3X9X40.  Its a great light gathering scope for night time use.   Also to consider is the shoot light that you use.  It should be pretty descent also so you can illuminate your target enought so your scope can do its job.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 09:33:14 PM »
I have a 4-12 rifleman and i love it. Works great for all ranges
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 10:14:28 PM »
I use the 3x9 on almost all my rifles.....but I have to admitt, I usually have it cranked up to 9 power the majority of the time.
Jake
York, PA

Offline doc holliday

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 11:27:32 PM »
Thanks for the input I looked at a vari x 2 4-12×40 and vx-r with illuminated reticle any thoughts on them?

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 07:25:03 AM »
I'm not familiar with the VXr model.  I don't use illuminated reticles pesonally.  The 4X12 would be a good choice in my opinion.  Bottom line is, you can't go wrong with Leupold.....
Jake
York, PA

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 09:13:34 AM »
I do not know what scope to tell you to pick. Remember not to get to heavy on the cross hair's. If you go to heavy it covers to much of your target
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 12:17:05 PM »
Doc I like the vxlll ill geman dots I have 2 of them I use for night hunting. 4.5x12 and a 1.5x5 both are 30mm tube and cannot say nothing bad about them. For me I can get the illum dot on the target the fastest and like buckwheat said  do not get a illum scope that lights up a lot of the retical. at night u will find out that u donot need to turn up your illum retical that high of a brightness to get on your target.if

Offline PA Predator Hunter

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 07:06:14 PM »
Check the Mueller Eraticator. Has a red illuminated dot with  ~10 different brightness settings. Power is 8.5 - 25 x 50mm objective.  Seems like too much power but it really works well. Killed a gray last year at about 50 yards with no problem finding the target. Usually keep it on about 15-18 power and turn up and down as needed. I have one on my 22-250 and .17 hornet. Best thing is it won't break the bank at $250. As Buckwheat mentioned - watch your cross hairs aren't too heavy. This Mueller has a fine line for a cross hair. At night I have one single red dot in the scope and with two red eyes from a fox / coyote, just line up the 3 dots and squeeze the trigger!!! Then it's "lights out"!!!!

Offline DownWind Outdoors

• Junior Forum Member
    • DownWind Outdoors
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 02:18:28 PM »
One recommendation is to get the biggest objective lens you can afford.  There is nothing worse than trying to find a predator in low light conditions.  I have several of the VX-L's in 56mm and love them; low light is a thing of the past with those scopes.  However, the thing I don’t like about them is the only scope cap available is the one made my Leupold which is expensive and the magnets that keep is closed are brutal.
DownWind Outdoors
www.DownWindOutdoors.com
More DownWind Outdoors
www.MoreDWO.com

Offline doc holliday

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 08:11:50 PM »
Finally made my decision on a scope leupold vari x lll 4.5-14×50 with a 30mm tube. Thanks to everyone who commented to my question and good luck.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 08:14:42 PM »
Doc
That is a great scope. My brother is a big fan of them.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!