Author Topic: Things needed that we require to call in coyotes in Pa  (Read 1374 times)

uncle buck

Things needed that we require to call in coyotes in Pa
« on: June 06, 2010, 02:47:35 PM »
Sure it good to know how to make a certain sound.  Also it's also good to know the predator your going to hunt..Kind of know how they act and what they are probably going to do next.

However many of us lack personal characteristics that would make us better predator caller.  Perseverance would be one..confidence would be another, and discipline..

Perseverance....Maybe staying on stand longer.  Kind of like those deer hunters that can sit up against a tree all day...They also tell themselves too that if they are going to fail then they will fail greatly... yep there are going to be many a days that your not going to see anything when calling...However hang in there and one of the times because you stayed on stand your going to call in a coyote..

Confidence......All it takes is to call in one coyote with a mouth call or even using an electronic caller and certain sounds then you know...Down the road if you do the same sequence or sounds you will call in other coyotes...So important for all callers to call in one animal with a mouth call too...You do that and don't call in 22 other predators with the same sound and call you know it worked before so it will work again...

Discipline.   One example here when calling coyotes is the people that just can't remain silent for up to 8 minutes after doing a calling sequence.  They hit that remote with more sounds or add more mouth calling...Their mind kind of tells them go ahead do another series of sounds...Wow especially for coyote calling...Silence is Golden when hunting coyotes...

Over the years this has really bothered me...Taking people hunting on my lands..Or Taking brand new hunters predator hunting Putting them in a spot..Start calling..In comes in a coyote and  the critter is going right for the area I placed the hunter or new hunter.... Waiting for the shot waiting for the shot waiting for the shot? Then coyote moves on.  What happened is the new hunter did not like the area and they moved some where else... Sometimes brand new hunters too..Hunters that never ever even hunted coyotes before...they move and in comes a coyote and they would have had a shot. The only time I don't mind if they move is if the wind shifted and now it would be blowing in another direction..That would be the time to move but only to get cross wind of the same area they were hunting.

Taking care of your weak areas of calling.  Me? I would say that being that I am 61 years old..I just went and got new glasses on Friday. I need to hunt chucks hard and shoot some targets at night...If anything that is my weak point...Shooting.Again this would be discipline...If I don't get out to the range and or hunt chucks I will be telling ALMOST stories on coyotes this year thats for sure...

Also shotguns?  PATTERN them before the season starts... Maybe when the grass is too high..Go chuck hunting with your shotgun and get some jump shots.. However  remember you have to use #4 shot.. # 2, BB, and # 4 buckshot is not legal for chucks.

You all know how people will go to fly fishing school or Trapping College...Wow it would be so nice if there was a calling school that newer hunters could PAY to go to and reduce years off of paying your dues.

Offline ozadug9

Re: Things needed that we require to call in coyotes in Pa
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 08:18:52 PM »
now that is truth there uncle buck......I've been calling coyotes for 7 or 8 years now but not in a very dedicated manner until the last couple of years when i really started looking at what i was doing and paying attention to how i was doing.....and I'm still in the beginner stag of predator hunting too but woodchuck hunting is a different story I've been enjoying that since i was a teenager......