Author Topic: PA hunting rules and such  (Read 3781 times)

Offline Gomer Pyle

PA hunting rules and such
« on: January 11, 2010, 01:59:36 AM »
Hey guys, I've been a member here for a short time. This is my first post (I mostly read threads). I would like to start out by sayin hello. This website is full of information and all sorts of cool stuff.

So for my first post, I am going to seem like a total newbie but I have to start somewhere...right? Haha.

I was wondering if anyone could point me to a thread/link on all the hunting rules for coyotes/foxes. Or help me out with these questions.

I am right now at this moment under the impression that:

- Hunting coyotes is a 365 day per year 24/7 opportunity?(yes/no?) I can go out in camo whenever I want and call one in and blast it! (they're destroying my turkey population so much that it is noticeable).(PS: I know it's not that easy haha).

- One needs a hunting license right? maybe? yes/no?... I have mine but am interested in bringing a pal who decided not to get one this year.

- Can I use my AR? I am almost certain that I can... but any magazine restrictions? I would only load 5 but don't want to be hassled.

- Do any of these rules/regs differ from private to public land???

- Are there any laws regarding the use of electronic calls?

Thanks alot and sorry for the hassle
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 09:09:34 AM by scott »

Offline Gomer Pyle

Re: PA hunting rules and such
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 02:08:35 AM »
just to add something... on my private property... if i shoot one, i would plan on either mounting it or taking the pelt to make a neat rug or something out of it....

Is this "ok"??

and my intentions would be the same on the public land i would be going to....

Anddddd what if I see a fox... Do same rules apply?

Thanks guys... I know its alot of questions....  and again I am new at this so dont get too mad if I posted anything "offensive" or "ignorant" (even tho... by definition... I am ignorant to this subject lol)... I deer hunt and all that but new to coyote/varmint...

PS: pretty excited to try my home made caller... its pretty neat.

Thanks again

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 03:28:18 AM »
Here is a link to the PA Hunting and Trapping digest.
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=609150&mode=2
PPHA District 3

worm4man

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 04:26:45 AM »
Hey guys, I've been a member here for a short time. This is my first post (I mostly read threads). I would like to start out by sayin hello. This website is full of information and all sorts of cool shi*.

So for my first post, I am going to seem like a total newbie but I have to start somewhere...right? Haha.

I was wondering if anyone could point me to a thread/link on all the hunting rules for coyotes/foxes. Or help me out with these questions.

I am right now at this moment under the impression that:

- Hunting coyotes is a 365 day per year 24/7 opportunity?(yes/no?) I can go out in camo whenever I want and call one in and blast it! (they're destroying my turkey population so much that it is noticeable).(PS: I know it's not that easy haha).

- One needs a hunting license right? maybe? yes/no?... I have mine but am interested in bringing a pal who decided not to get one this year.

- Can I use my AR? I am almost certain that I can... but any magazine restrictions? I would only load 5 but don't want to be hassled.

- Do any of these rules/regs differ from private to public land???

- Are there any laws regarding the use of electronic calls?

Thanks alot and sorry for the hassle

No problem, I'm certain you will get help here.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 06:14:17 AM »
Yes, coyotes are a 365 24/7 animal,  fox are not they have a season.  i think the only time you have to wear orange is during the daylight hours of another big game season.  private land and public land rules are the same.  semi auto rifles or rimfires are not permitted for any game.   when you get one you can sell it, have a rug made or a mount. 

Scott

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 09:52:56 AM »
Gomer, mainly utilize the link that coyotejeff provided, but to add and help answer a few of your questions.

Do you need a hunting license?
yes you either need a general hunting license or furtaking license to actively participate in hunting coyotes. Your friend may accompany you if he does not participate in any way (make sure you understand what participate means.....basically he may sit and observe, not run a call, not do anything in any fashion which is deemed participating)

Is coyote hunting 365?
With a furtakers license you may hunt coyote 24/7/365
With a general hunting license, there are a few restrictions on times you may hunt coyote, such as during any deer season, bear season, or spring gobbler (for Spring Gobbler you must adhere to shot size for turkey) you must be legally hunting deer or bear, spring gobbler (and be in possession of a valid tag) to be able to hunt coyotes during daylight hunting hours.
Also during general firearms deer season or bear season, you must adhere to the Flo orange requirements of those seasons
Also the best place to find some answers such as these is on pages 12 and 74 of the Pa Hunting and Trapping digest that you get when purchasing your license.

Can I get the coyote mounted or turned into a rug?
Yep

Can I use electronic decoys/callers?
Yep

Can I use bait for coyotes?

Yep, but make sure no other furbearers are taken around the bait...its not legal for fox,coon and other such animals.

Are the rules the same for fox?
No, you must have a furbearers license to take a fox.
Bait may not be used for fox.
Fox may be hunted 24/7 with exceptions during certain seasons.

Also I recommend contacting the PGC directly and asking to speak to a Law Enforcement supervisor to get questions answer more directly and to understand them better.
Some things are very difficult to express in writing and sometimes are taken wrong.

Happy hunting!!!
THIS IS SPARTA!!

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 07:30:11 PM »
Welcome Gomer.  Good name to use..  It reminds me of that old joke (Jokingly)  "What Is Brown And  Lays In A Field?"   Gomer's pile ( Pyle).
Yep visit often here.  Hope you learn some things from the numerous post on here? Thanks for the flashback on the old joke too...

Offline Gomer Pyle

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 04:55:12 AM »
Uncle Buck... Haha glad you like the name. Gotta love the movie FMJ. Lee Ermey dominated that role. My favorite line is after "Joker" says "Is that you John Wayne... Is this me?" and Ermy entire bit after that hahahah. "WHO SAID THAT!"

Thanks for all the info guys. It helped alot.

Where does everyone go to coyote hunt? Anyone in Jefferson county?