Author Topic: Beaten Broken Frustrated Depressed  (Read 5190 times)

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
Beaten Broken Frustrated Depressed
« on: February 27, 2015, 10:39:40 AM »
Last night my buddy and I was about to head out night hunting had yotes howling 1/2 mile away drove around to backside of hill walked in to setup spot they were barking howling talking up a storm as I put call out within 1000 yards I know we were not seen or smelled gave it 10:00 min. started with female long howl then pup dist. even some female submis. nothing showed up not even answered this has happened 3 times with same pair in this area any suggestions?

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Beaten Broken Frustrated Depressed
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 11:18:52 AM »
sneak back during the day.   1 lone howl and sit for an hour.   play the wind and be at least 100 yards downwind of the caller.   

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 12:15:43 PM »
What Scott said.
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 02:08:48 PM »
Going to give it try in morning at daylight have been after same pair last hour of daylight had them answering but never showed up thanks for the advice.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 02:51:32 PM »
     I think I would try to get a little closer than 1000 yards if thats possible.   If the wind is on your side, and there isn't a lot of crunchy snow, i'd creep closer.  Is it possible they did come in and your just didn't see them??
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 07:47:28 AM »
Back in January I was under 300 yards at daylight they howled on there own I set up every thing was good wind, they did not know I was there, I made one female bark howl they shut up never saw or heard anything I worked them hour or so. Is it  they are so call shy I"ll never get to come in? I know the neighbor kids have been after them a lot ever time they here them up the mountain they go on the 4 wheeler on weekends there out calling at night there good kids but the way there going about it is not good there riding on 4 wheeler stopping and calling& shining light they been at it since deer season. It would make my whole calling season to get just 1 of this pair in gun range.   

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 10:34:57 PM »
There is so much to learn to call them in for a shot in Pa...However you do have to pay your dues...IMO...I now hunt with the wind in my face.. I just get legal 25 yards from vehicle,  I use objects out in the fields to block them from going down wind of me,  I use long periods of silence, when they howl and won't come in.. I use one full minute of the Coyote Pup distress and then I shut up for  8 min.. I don't shut off my shooting or head light when calling.. I turn head light off when I look down the scope of my rifle and find the coyote and fire...The light is always on the scope illuminated...then you have to know how they act to calling... None of the down wind stuff most times.. they come in to your calling with the least resistance... Watch the logging roads coming out of wood lots and paths that come down through the farmers fields... they don't use their energy up jumping over stubble corn to get to your call.. they actually will work there way back and forth through the corn stumble long ways and then cross the next row and back and forth... They will come in from your side and flank you and they will come down the roads to your calls and get behind you that way...If people are using electronics in that area you would be better off to learn how to howl with an open reed and at least be able to do your own pup with an open reed call.. It doesn't have to sound perfect either..

IMO as soon as you said you try to circle around and walk in it was over...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 10:36:51 PM by uncle buck »

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 09:03:32 AM »
uncle buck I do not quite understand your last quote of going around! we drove over to other side of hill parked walked in about 60-70 yards to setup spot, this is good spot killed last 2 years at this spot, I know we did not spook them. I do agree with you on using mouth howler I do have 2 open reed calls thanks for info.

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 01:11:25 PM »
Just sound of your vehicle driving to the spot. See if you park in around farm house they are use to that. Could be someone you were eith closed door improper. Everything hot to be stealth for coyotes. Pa coyotes can reason!  They are extremely paranoid!  70 yards was also to much to walk on. 25 yards to just get legal. Your call is a tool. Let the tool do the work to trigger their response in their brain. Yank that chain and they will Come
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 01:13:35 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 07:28:54 AM »
I know the neighbor kids have been after them a lot ever time they here them up the mountain... the way there going about it is not good there riding on 4 wheeler stopping and calling& shining light they been at it since deer season.
I would avoid those Coyotes and that area this season. Go back next October and kill some there before the neighbors harasses them. Did they kill any Coyotes their yet?
Go hunt different Coyotes this month.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 08:21:07 AM »
pressured coyotes can be figured out.  another thing you can try.   walk into the area with 2 or 3 people.   call like you normally would for 1/2 hour.   once you are done leave but leave 1 person behind and have them stay there for 45 minutes.   

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 09:02:15 AM »
I think I may be getting it figured out been out to mornings so fare had them talking back to me using mouth calls not that good with them but must sound good enough to them, I think I need to get closer?

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 10:50:06 PM »
I know the neighbor kids have been after them a lot ever time they here them up the mountain... the way there going about it is not good there riding on 4 wheeler stopping and calling& shining light they been at it since deer season.
I would avoid those Coyotes and that area this season. Go back next October and kill some there before the neighbors harasses them. Did they kill any Coyotes their yet?
Go hunt different Coyotes this month.

I was gonna say they sound like some educated dogs too. And as stated, sure they can probably be duped into coming in, but how much time do you spend on particular coyotes in an area you know is being called "a lot" by others..however hard it may be to part from that spot because you know they are there, you might be spinning your tires at this time..I'd keep that spot in your pocket and try to capitalize on it at a more condusive time too..
PPHA President

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 06:32:14 AM »
i wouldn't give up on them.   i would keep trying different things.  you can learn from them.   there are so many things you can try.   try a cat meow and then a bird distress.   you can try just using sounds that are not distress sounds.  chirping bird is a good one.   if i knew they were there i would keep after them. 

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 09:18:25 AM »
I have know intention of letting up till at least end of March I may be called back to work before that if so I will still get out as much as possibly. Going out tonight have been changing up on every thing I can think of something will work I just have to be on toes I am sure it will be fast and up close! Thanks for all the info. that u-all been posting.