Author Topic: Combo Guns revisited  (Read 2572 times)

uncle buck

Combo Guns revisited
« on: February 09, 2012, 11:56:21 AM »
I was talking to some coyote hunters that use dogs... They were telling me they use combo guns.. Tikka's and Spartans... They claimed that Remington has corrected the problems in the Spartan combo guns.. Problem was that they would not hold zero for rifle once the shotgun barrel was fired..

I have a model 24V Savage 223/12.  I used it on my trip to Texas, on last week out of county Northeast Coyote Hunt and all this entire fox season...  Nice to just take one gun when you go out of town that serves to purposes... Long and short shots...

I know a few people that have the guns with the Russian name on them and they like them... Don't know if Remington just made a bad lot of them and they are OK now..

Truly if the combo guns can hold zero then they are an asset if they can't hold zero after that shotgun blast then they would be better to use them for a tomato stake!!!

My 24V is working out fine for predator hunting... Anybody else have anything good or bad to say about their experiences with combo guns?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:17:48 PM by uncle buck »

Offline screamn in the nite

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Combo Guns revisited
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 12:45:01 PM »
I've got a savage 24f  22hornet/12 gauge. Love it, love it, love it!  ;D

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 01:11:07 PM »
The problem with the spartan gun is many put on 3/8 dovetail mounts when they are a metric dovetail.  I drilled and tapped mine for high rise mounts.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 06:52:22 PM »
The spartan and the bakial(sp) are the same guns.  They should be drilled and tapped.  Most of the people I know also use shotgun scopes. 

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 08:59:56 PM »
Yep. Its really the best solution to a problem i have heard more then once.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”