Author Topic: red fox calling  (Read 1642 times)

Offline RyanX

• Junior Forum Member
red fox calling
« on: October 26, 2011, 07:00:20 AM »
Hey guys, I was wondering if calling reds is much different from calling greys. I have a few questions because I am still on the learning curve. How do reds come into a call? Will reds come into grey fox pup in distress? How long do I need to sit? Do you guys use fox vocals for reds? What kind of area should I look for to call in? What sounds do you guys like to use for reds? Is there any sounds that work well for both reds and greys? Any advise will much appreciated. 

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
Re: red fox calling
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 09:26:50 AM »
I can't answer all those questions but my best red fox areas are farms with fence rows. I love calling for reds\grays along fence rows and field edges. Almost any sound I have ever used works. Red fox pup distress is a great sound as well as rabbit\jack rabbit distress. I normally call for fox around 7-10 minutes. Once I start calling and nothing shows up within five minutes I am pretty much done. I did have a red come in to the one setup about 20 minutes after I started. Usually I am long gone by then. Most are within 3 minutes. They often come bouncing in, stopping to look several times. They won't charge in like a gray.

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
  • There aint no such thing as too dead...
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 06:14:08 PM »
I have to agree. Most of my red fox places are farms or deserted farms. Usually a rule of thumb that I was told when just starting out was "look for reds on the highest and lowest places on the farm". Aka the fields and fence rows. I have one spot with a fence row on the left and a creek on the right. I shot 6 fox from the same tree last year that all died within 20 feet of each other. Reds will tend to hang up a lot easier and not charge in like grays.

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 04:08:36 PM »
cornfields with some minor fringe habitat = red fox.  Find those cornfields.