Author Topic: anyone been out  (Read 4890 times)

Offline nepahunter17

• Junior Forum Member
anyone been out
« on: March 04, 2015, 05:18:36 PM »
Has anyone been out hunting? I've got the itch to get out but snow so deep its to hard going.does this snow effect calling ?I have a couple sets I might be able to get into.
Due to price increase in ammo,,,,,,,,,,,,,there will be no warning shots

uncle buck

Re: anyone been out
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 05:26:38 PM »
I was out Monday from 9 PM to 2 AM.. I made 5 stands of 45 Min each and called in nothing.. Even deer were not moving.  IMO the full moon is so hard to call.

Offline nepahunter17

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 05:32:27 PM »
Do you think might be better to try early morning or late evening during full moon?just trying to learn all new to me sorry if questions are silly

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 05:40:23 PM »
     Last weekend was pretty good.  The boards had 3 coyotes posted !  Any time is a good time for hunting coyotes.  I believe the three that were killed over the weekend was during daylight hours....One morning one evening and one in the afternoon !!   Again,  anytime is a good time to hunt Coyotes!!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 06:55:20 PM »
I'm gonna do some daylight hunting this weekend. Just hoping it not too crunchy but I know it's gonna be. Oh well gotta be out to kill them crunchy or not.
Home D-5
Camp D-3

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 07:52:19 PM »
I was out Sunday and today. Both daytime hunts. Had them vocalizing back and forth but wouldn't come in. Been using both male and female howls along with coyote pup in distress. The pup distress really set them off. Waited about an hour both times and nothing appeared. I'm guessing maybe I should wait longer. the snow is VERY deep in my neck of the woods. I imagine that could slow their approach some.... :o
District 5 coordinator

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 08:49:18 PM »
Foxhound
How far they when the fist let you know they were there.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 08:55:23 PM »
I was out today. Nice soft snow to sneak into there core territory and I blew it! Double called in with no shot again. My bad luck is back!!

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 09:20:47 PM »
Huntin 4 Yotes ......  Don't get discouraged.  Many hunters would consider just calling them in and seeing the success of your calling a successful hunt !!!  Many guys don't even call them into sight .
Jake
York, PA

Offline nepahunter17

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 09:32:39 PM »
Agreed with jake. I for one haven't called one in yet

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 10:13:10 PM »
I agree misterjake, it's just not my year!! The ones today came in like a bullet, spun around in the steep ravine below me and of corse out of view, then headed back to the clear cut in the same tracks they came in on. 

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 10:30:18 PM »
     I can relate to your frustration.  I called in more coyotes this year than in the past....However, like you,  I just had a very small window of opportunity - if any- and was never able to close the deal on most.

Having said that, I still feel very fortunate to have just called them in.  It tells me I'm doing something right, I just need to fine tune what I'm doing to close the deal.  It sounds like you have a good solid base to build from.  Now its just a matter of building the master piece.    And that often takes time to perfect.  As we all know, when hunting those illusive coyotes, it has to be perfect !!!
Jake
York, PA

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 10:40:18 PM »
+1 misterjake! They say a turkey won't cross a creek when being called... I learned today coyotes won't cross a very steep ravine.  Tomorrow is another day!

uncle buck

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 12:19:37 AM »
Ya Misterjake all it takes is to be hunting with the wrong person and you won't get coyotes.. You have to have everything going for you... Kind of like the prefect came in football to defeat a team if your the underdog..Truly when it time for the contest.. Like Mosquito Creek it's time to not be baby sitting new hunters and use every available hunters that understands what is needed of each other..

I will say this...what a gift when calling for me and they start howling up in a woodlot.. That when you know if you yank that chain just right and are in the right spot your going to get a shot.. When you hunt blindly on lands that you don't know if coyotes are there and they don't come in. think of it that way.. they just aren't there and people shouldn't be hard on themselves...

As your call ins increase try to notice a pattern and you will be able to start to set up and outsmart them.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 07:17:29 AM »
nepahunter17, if the snow is deep you may have to stay on stand longer.
Learning more about Coyote and what he does all year will be helpful.
In most parts of our state, using snowfall(s) and extended snow pack conditions a hunter must learn to use snow conditions if he wants to hunt late season will success. Dealing with snow pack is a hard, long lesson most don't master or integrate with Coyote habit and movement. Snow conditions can change daily or every few days in northern Pa.  By that, where are Coyote with only 1"-3" fresh snow? Where are Coyote with 10" of snow cover for a 2-3 week period? Where are Coyote with deep snow (how far do they travel) Where are Coyote with frozen, crusted snow and frozen creeks, streams and lakes? Lot to learn about Coyote and extended snow cover.
In my area, we now have a light layer of ice on top of the snow (and new snow falling right now). Yesterday, I break through and thump, thump, thump when I walk. For the last week the snow was frozen and I could walk on top and rarely break through.
With the constant snow cover, just parking out of the way is a challenge. The past 9 weeks I have experienced many different snow cover conditions; dry and fluffy, wet and squeaky, deep and drifted, frozen-walk on top, crusted-breaking through and so on. Each condition is a challenge. Dealing with the long cold spells or snow pack... knowing Coyote habits will maximize your success.