Author Topic: Nice dog down  (Read 5395 times)

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Nice dog down
« on: March 01, 2015, 02:25:48 AM »
Got a chance to go out calling with my hunting buddy tonight and after 2 1/2 years of trying to score a coyote at this particular property, tonight it all came together. We arrived at our spot at about 5:25 and started the walk in. Not 100 yds later we came across fresh coyote tracks heading in as well. Not fifty more yards, we came across another set headed in the same direction. This is not uncommon for this area and as usual are expectations were high..but, we've had this feeling before at this location and confusingly always came up short...as we discussed on the 40 minute ride up, we knew it would just be a matter of time before we connected because of the history of near misses and the fact that every single time up here we've seen, heard or called and missed coyotes..this spot is roughly 1500 acres belonging to a very small hunting club and it is rarely called for predators as most of the members are deer, turkey and small game guys. Anyhow, we stomped out way through the deep snow  and arrived at our calling location. We placed the call and the mojo out and nestled in to start our stand. After sitting silent for a few minutes we heard a coyote let out a  series of howls probably 5-600 yards out to our left..I let it do its thing and when it finished I responded with a female howl from the Shockwave. A minute or two later the coyote let out a slightly longer series of yips and howls to which I again answered with a similar sounding series of female howls. Then things went silent. It was at that point I whispered to my friend "I bet its moving in"..to which he agreed. Eventually the coyote belted out a howl but this time it was a long lone howl and considerably closer..we were at that point on high alert..I answered back with a female long howl of my own..it did not answer. A minute later I did a ki-yi out of my mouth call and we sat. Next thing I know my buddy says "here he comes, here he comes"..I do a slight turn of my head and sure enough here comes wily on a steady clip 300 yards out and coming in hot...my buddy calmly flips to fire and we wait..Convinced he is now locked onto the mojo we're confident he'd come right in range..and he did. I was happy for my buddy on scoring a nice prime dog which is also his first, I was pleased with myself for not eff'ing it up on the calling and for us finally scoring together at a spot that had given us fits for the past couple years..it was a good night. Heres a pic of me with the prize.
PPHA President

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Nice dog down
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 06:33:23 AM »
Congratulations and nice recap of the hunt....

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 06:35:57 AM »
 ;) ;) ;) Great job and a great story of how it all came together.. :o :o :o :o
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 06:52:58 AM »
Great job!  Love it when a plan comes together

Offline nepahunter17

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 07:40:22 AM »
Congrats! Good story helpful tips in there
Due to price increase in ammo,,,,,,,,,,,,,there will be no warning shots

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 08:29:01 AM »
Good job! Awesome story
District 5 coordinator

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 08:30:47 AM »
Nice! Congrats!!

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 09:00:47 AM »
WTG!!! Looks big

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 09:18:48 AM »
Awesome.  Congrats
Home D-5
Camp D-3

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 09:47:52 AM »
Thanks guys..it was pretty text book if ever there is such a thing.. which alot of times we know isnt the case..and more  ironically my partner and I have hunted fox/coyote together many times and he somehow wasn't present on any of the hunts I got yotees on..when it come to coyotes we always got skunked when calling together.. which was kind of a black cloud we just couldn't make sense of..had some misses and got busted, just couldn't seem to seal the deal...it was weird almost.. so connecting on this one lifted that curse so to speak. He's a nice one, nice fur and pretty decent size.. he'll be at the taxidermist here shortly..
PPHA President

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 01:22:36 PM »
Congrats!!!!! Nice one!

uncle buck

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 01:22:45 PM »
Congrats!!!!! Nice one!

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 02:47:21 PM »
Awesome !!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 03:13:05 PM »
sweeeet

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 05:39:56 PM »
Congrats guys!