Author Topic: day or night  (Read 6007 times)

Offline nepahunter17

• Junior Forum Member
day or night
« on: February 28, 2015, 09:30:28 AM »
What do you find to be better hunting coyotes day or night?
Due to price increase in ammo,,,,,,,,,,,,,there will be no warning shots

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: day or night
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 09:47:59 AM »
Day time  ..... I prefer from early daylight till about 10 am.  Just my preference
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline PA Predator Hunter

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 09:49:51 AM »
Night. Without question. Maybe others have had luck in the day but I haven't. I have had luck (a lot of luck) the last 45 minutes before dark for fox. I'm sure that time would be good for coyotes too byt I personally have not called any coyotes in during that time. My opinion, get a good red light and hunt them in the dark.

Offline nepahunter17

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 11:42:15 AM »
I haven't had luck calling yotes at all I've tried day and nite dunno why I know there in my areas have shot them with bow in archery season and in bear season when not hunting them one with bow I kissed (kiss of death) him in from about 90 yard to 43 yards when I shot him but as far as calling I suck 3 bobcats and one gray  out of probly 50 plus sets
However still lotta fun
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 11:43:05 AM by nepahunter17 »

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 10:25:49 PM »
When you first start off you will learn that you have to pay your dues!!! Once heard Coyoteslayer say that guys try to hard to call in a coyote.. To much calling, to much walking in, to much high tech stuff on their guns,  just get legal with the wind in your face, call very minimal with periods of silence and you will start to get shots at coyotes...they do have to be there to call too...

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 09:08:52 AM »
I also agree with uncle buck, buckwheat also has good advice just keep it simple.

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 10:51:56 AM »
I haven't had luck calling yotes at all I've tried day and nite dunno why I know there in my areas have shot them with bow in archery season and in bear season when not hunting them one with bow I kissed (kiss of death) him in from about 90 yard to 43 yards when I shot him but as far as calling I suck 3 bobcats and one gray  out of probly 50 plus sets
However still lotta fun

I'd first say that you should give yourself more credit than you have...3 cats and a gray..to you it may not seem like much but it shows you've done what it takes to put a successful stand together..build off of that..and build off of your unsuccessful hunts too..there can be more to learn there than when you walk in, sit down, call and kill a critter like we see on TV..As, far as time, I hunt mainly at night, usually due to the fact its when I finally get the time to go out..and the activity is certainly there..I think too it depends on the areas you're calling that may dictate when to call..if there is a lot of human activity during daylight, they may not move til that activity resides. If you are calling more vast uninhibited places I think the old rule of getting in 1 hour before sun rise and 1 hour before sun set is a pretty good starting point..its just like "prime time" for deer..same applies. Another thing is, it may be easier when first starting to do it when you can see with your naked eye. That way you can familiarize yourself with the mechanics of the hunt without the extra factors of dealing with no light and the extra steps that go into using scanners and kill lights and hunting after dark in general. I personally feel relieved when I can get out during some light after hunting nights only. But alas, we come to the x- factor which is.. there is no steadfast anything..you will hear that time and time again..that is the truest of rules in my opinion...only time in the woods and experimenting is what can change that..or paying dues as stated already...keep it simple and learn learn learn something everytime..it is easy to complicate things..And for what its worth, all the dogs I've killed or seen killed, and its not near as many as some on here, have been taken in the waning hours of the afternoon or evening as the sun is going down and when I can, I'd prefer to hunt during light whether early morning or afternoon/evening..
PPHA President

Offline nepahunter17

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 11:39:38 AM »
For night hunting do you keep ur gun mounted light on the hole time or only when shooting and for scan light do you leave it on or shut it off when shooting?

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 01:03:35 PM »
Important to have it on already. If you hit them  from blind to light it scares them. buy extra batteries and let the scope light on.
It's a part of tje shooting sequence. You hide behind that red light to when the gun sets in rest! You turn your scanning light off look down scope tube find predator fire!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 01:15:12 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 03:14:23 PM »
What do you find to be better hunting coyotes day or night?

YES!!!

Offline nepahunter17

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 03:47:43 PM »
So do you just leave the rifle sit aimed one spot with light on while scanning with another light?

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 03:51:46 PM »
For night hunting do you keep ur gun mounted light on the hole time or only when shooting and for scan light do you leave it on or shut it off when shooting?
I turn mine on when I'm gettin ready to shoot. I leave my scan light on them, turn on my gun light with it pointed up and slowly drop the light down on them and then shut off my scan light. 
Home D-5
Camp D-3

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 03:53:07 PM »
+ 1  ...I do the same as Bigcat
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline nepahunter17

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 03:54:45 PM »
Thanks

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 09:08:49 PM »
I also turn the rifle light on only at the moment I'm near pulling the trigger.. when hunting with a partner there is no time when light isn't on the target..the guy scanning/calling/shotgunning picks its eyes up and keeps the outer edge of the halo on it, never taking it off..in the meantime, the shooter is going through the motions of preparing for his shot..as the quarry nears, the shooter can then turn his gun light on..doing it this way, there is never a time when the light is not on the animal..so the shock of no light and then light never occurs...sometimes the shooter scans also... in that scenario, if he picks something up, the non shooting scanner than takes over with his light and at that moment the shooter shuts his off and gets ready... that is why, to me, hunting solo at night is tough..because you need to find a way to efficiently transition from the scanning to the rifle light..obviously, guys do all it the time with much success..so there, keeping the light on the entire time could be the ticket.. when I used to night hunt alone I had some success too but I found it harder..maybe I should have tried the constant light method..I rarely hunt alone at night anymore..if I do, I may try it that way
PPHA President