Author Topic: loud snow  (Read 5212 times)

Offline Shovelheadave

• Junior Forum Member
loud snow
« on: February 13, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »
Probably sounds like a dumb question but........anyone have any cleaver ways of getting in and out on this loud crunchy snow without making a god-awful racket ?? Even stepping lightly, looking for grassy patchss and walking slowly its CRUNCH CRUNCH !!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:22:45 AM by Shovelheadave »

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: loud snow
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 10:38:39 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Fly in  :o :o :o :o
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 12:02:15 PM »
Not sure if snow shoes would help.....
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline HDRoadking3058

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 12:19:20 PM »
Show shoes with carpet on the bottom of them!
Tim
Westmoreland County
District 6

Offline Shovelheadave

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 12:33:45 PM »
Would snow shoes really work ??

I've never used them before.

Offline HDRoadking3058

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 12:49:01 PM »
I know they would keep you on top (from breaking thru the crust) and carpet would quiet the scraping noise down from the ice. I never tried this thought dave but in my mind it would work. I've worn show shoes, it's a little tricky at first till you get the hang of it. That's about all I can come up with, unless as stated above, fly in!
Tim
Westmoreland County
District 6

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 12:57:19 PM »
Snow shoes spreads your weight out preventing you from falling throught the snow.   With the hard freeze that just moved in, the crust should be stronger too, also helping you from falling thru.
Jake
York, PA

Offline Shovelheadave

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 02:05:43 PM »
The frozen snow is my problem......crunch crunch with each step.

I'll see if I can find some snow shoes.

Thanks

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 02:30:09 PM »
I have snowshoes. Tried them the other day. You still go crunch crunch crunch with every step. Carpet may muffle it some though.
District 5 coordinator

Offline Shovelheadave

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 02:50:44 PM »
Darn.

Maybe I'll try some carpet on some plywood.

The fox will probably die laughing at me.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 03:26:43 PM »
They say image is everything.....  We can't have a PPHA member out there in the woods not looking good! 
Jake
York, PA

uncle buck

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 07:37:25 PM »
I have done this all the time when making my 2nd stand. 1 st stand is only 25 yards off road. If traffic noise abounds or hunting by train tracks. Move to your 2nd stand when train is passing your location.
I have killed fox already moving from point A to Point B when train passes. Actually saw it hunting in a treeline and walked up and shot it with the 22 WMR. Train was still passing. So If a train comes by and im done calling I will move and have sound of train mute my advance. This will work on crusty snow.
Also along Int 81 traffic noise will mute your advance. Any loud sound in your hunting area can mask your advance. However love train noise!

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 07:55:41 PM »
I was wondering the same thing the other day and have yet to try it but was going to cut out plywood in the shape of a really large foot similar to bigfoot and put carpet on it....  ;D

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 09:53:07 PM »
If you haven'used snowshoes before, practice walking on them before hunting on them. This year, I've used mine mine for the first time in years.
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

uncle buck

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 10:31:37 PM »
if my memory serves me correct It wish Jaspr1 would comment on how it is walking on snowshoes hunting snowshoe rabbits up in New England...I think he made comment once that you just don't slip them on and go... You got to be seasoned... I know of some kids once that wanted to walk the Appalachian trail... they started in Harrisburg and end up quitting somewhere in Hazelton.. see they purchased brand new boots and never broke them in... Ouch those dang blisters form real fast if your shoes aren't broken in...

Ya it be the crunch that alerts the critters... Not sure if there is anything that would take the Snap, Crackle, Pop away from walking on crusty snow...  Truly again.... Me I have learned from many years of calling that it's just better to find the right property with the wind blowing in your face and hunt 25 yards from the road... They will come to you... You really don't have to go after them!!!!  A screwdriver is a tool, a hammer is a tool, and the predator call is a tool...Use the tool to call them to you... Don't go after them...Not only do it when the snow is crusty... hunt like this all the time.. the deeper you walk in the more predators you will scare...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:32:36 PM by uncle buck »