Author Topic: Mosquito Creek Coyote Hunt  (Read 27771 times)

Offline a bolt

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
Re: Mosquito Creek Coyote Hunt
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2015, 05:51:17 AM »
Two years ago we had entries in the March madness and last year I was close again 3 called in with a miss just didn't work out last year for me but I was trying .

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2015, 08:23:00 AM »
I was at weigh in from 2:30-4:30pm heaviest 51lb. My thought is on location to hounds men from Eire came in with 13 said they killed them Friday they had name tags on that was so they new ho killed them, if you have that many guys hunting how would you know if all the hunters are registered and if all were killed in PA.?

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2015, 08:30:49 AM »
It takes big money prizes to attract a lot of hunters.  PPHA does not have that.  As someone who organized hunts in the past, I personally don't like money hunts as it fosters cheating and a lot of bitching and god knows I heard a ton of it. 

I love how guys on this website are all willing to "advise" and "help others" but they can't support this organization.  Some are not even members of the PPHA.  At aMINIMUM they should support the PPHA through membership for being allowed to post and read on this site. 

If the members and in some cases non members "Walked the Walk" as much as they talked this organization would be huge.

For those late comers, the PPHA has held coyote contest and continues to hold lots of hunts, just not for thousands of dollars.

Sorry for taking this post off topic, move or delet it if you like.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2015, 10:16:13 AM »
What I really don't understand and was trying to get at was that someone can run 5 dogs and not have to pay for them in the hunt. But if a buddy of mine wants to call or run the light for me for the hunt and didn't sign up or pay I get disqualified for that. I can't take 5 of my friends and have them put drives on for me for coyotes without them being signed up and paid for. Maybe they don't have to pay the membership fees for the dogs but they should pay for the hunt fees. It would make a bigger money pot in the as well.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2015, 10:24:02 AM »
Lookn4fur     .......    Well said Tim.  So few guys put in a lot of time  with this club and YES we do hold numerous hunts throughout the year.  We get a lot of members sign up, which is great,  BUT very few participate in the hunts.  This club gives out some great prizes too !!  And like you said,  it takes money to give out prizes. 
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2015, 10:26:23 AM »
What I really don't understand and was trying to get at was that someone can run 5 dogs and not have to pay for them in the hunt. But if a buddy of mine wants to call or run the light for me for the hunt and didn't sign up or pay I get disqualified for that. I can't take 5 of my friends and have them put drives on for me for coyotes without them being signed up and paid for. Maybe they don't have to pay the membership fees for the dogs but they should pay for the hunt fees. It would make a bigger money pot in the as well.
That's like saying you have to sign up your foxpro because its doing your work or everyone of your hand calls. Come on. Just because its not done your way. It's like the people on other forums complaining about people driving in deer season if its allowed its allowed don't loose sleep over it.
Home D-5
Camp D-3

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2015, 10:40:01 AM »
We have had a PPHA coyote hunt the last few years and no coyotes killed! March Madness we a month long yote hunt and two straight years with no winner, so we decided to go with the Bobcat Blitz hunt this year and actually had a bobcat entered!
I did like the bobcat hunt. Maybe you could do a pay hunt for the ppha members like $5-10 and winner at the end would be randomly draw out of entries. If no yotes entered do a 50/50 and draw from everyone. I would gladly pay for a hunt after all the free hunts you guys do a year.
Home D-5
Camp D-3

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2015, 11:32:21 AM »
It takes big money prizes to attract a lot of hunters.  PPHA does not have that.  As someone who organized hunts in the past, I personally don't like money hunts as it fosters cheating and a lot of bitching and god knows I heard a ton of it. 

I love how guys on this website are all willing to "advise" and "help others" but they can't support this organization.  Some are not even members of the PPHA.  At aMINIMUM they should support the PPHA through membership for being allowed to post and read on this site. 

If the members and in some cases non members "Walked the Walk" as much as they talked this organization would be huge.

For those late comers, the PPHA has held coyote contest and continues to hold lots of hunts, just not for thousands of dollars.

Sorry for taking this post off topic, move or delet it if you like.

pot of the month right thar
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2015, 01:00:14 PM »
Ya the nerve if Jerry to suggest a coyote hunt and not be a member of PPHA.
Probably you should make that only members can post on here. Only thing the topics  would dwindle down to near nothing. Interesting feature on here is your stats at the bottom. Shows who adds the most topics and who spends time on the site the most.
I do remember in the old days when club started calling all kinds of vendors like Gerald Stewart and getting prizes and such. Doing personally doing seminars. Then the entire membership based reversed and started dropping out. Very few members now in are a part of that group way back when. I can only think of 3. Hern, Buckwheat, and off and on Trapperjohn.
think about this: predator hunters are an aggressive lot. Just what we do. Makes some of us not get along with others. Some attacks are painful so much that family members plead with their loved one members to quit. They just can't see their loved ones attacked.  My wife actually made me promise I'd never run for office. Some of us get so upset rhat if we were coyotes we wouldn't last into November. However the ones that are friends because of PPHA our bonds are strong.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 01:02:30 PM by uncle buck »

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2015, 02:01:16 PM »
totally missed it 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2015, 02:07:01 PM »
Bigcat
Next year I'm going to put GPS collars on 5 of my friends and them drive coyotes for me and call them my dogs the at will me legal for the hunt right. In general I think dogs should need a hunting permit to hunt anything. All people who are in a deer drive need a hunting license why shouldn't dogs?

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2015, 02:24:04 PM »
Cool I want to see pics of your friends. I know none of my friends will put collars on if I asked them to so we could save a few bucks. I'll buy the shock collars and we can train them this summer.
Home D-5
Camp D-3

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2015, 03:05:04 PM »
Orange requirements changed.   -
 #4 Buck Shot approved.  -
 Road kill furbearers now able to be picked up.  -
 Gun mounted lights made legal.  -
 Decoys allowed for use with all predators.  -
 Cable restraints made legal.   -
 PPHA vote was one of three votes needed to pass.  -
 The other two groups assisting in passing this were the Trappers Association and the Hounds Men Club.  -
 Exposed bait legal for hunting (Coyote Only).  -
 Organized the first Predator Hunting Association in Pennsylvania.  -
 Held the first ever Pennsylvania Predator Hunting Expo. -
 Held the first official Pennsylvania Predator Calling Championship.  -

ok here is a list of of PPHA accomplishments from the main page.   Lets put the name of the person responsible at the time and the year it was done. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 03:09:30 PM by scott »

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2015, 03:21:19 PM »
UB, it has nothing to do with Jerry Johnson.  So as not to detract further from this post I am done.

totally missed it 

+1
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2015, 03:52:48 PM »
Orange requirements changed.   -
 #4 Buck Shot approved.  -
 Road kill furbearers now able to be picked up.  -
 Gun mounted lights made legal.  -
 Decoys allowed for use with all predators.  -
 Cable restraints made legal.   -
 PPHA vote was one of three votes needed to pass.  -
 The other two groups assisting in passing this were the Trappers Association and the Hounds Men Club.  -
 Exposed bait legal for hunting (Coyote Only).  -
 Organized the first Predator Hunting Association in Pennsylvania.  -
 Held the first ever Pennsylvania Predator Hunting Expo. -
 Held the first official Pennsylvania Predator Calling Championship.  -

ok here is a list of of PPHA accomplishments from the main page.   Lets put the name of the person responsible at the time and the year it was done. 

I can't put specific names to each accomplishment but have been around for a good while.  I went to my first meeting in mechanicsburg when tom monko was in charge.  I am thinking 2004? 

The fact is even though UB pointed out only three names there were several more that helped the ppha grow and continue on with it to where it is today.  as well as each and every one of them putting forth many volunteer hours.   some have came and went.  Some have stuck around as members after serving as well. 

I wouldn't say aggressive attitude is the problem but more along the lines of ego UB.