Author Topic: Fur Down Round 2!  (Read 5636 times)

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Fur Down Round 2!
« on: August 22, 2014, 07:38:10 PM »

Better picture of 8/20/2014 coyote.

8/22/2014 coyote both taken with .17 wsm and a Bees O'Brien call.

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Fur Down Round 2!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 07:51:30 PM »
Way to stack 'em!
PPHA President

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 06:48:48 AM »
Keep it up !!!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 08:05:37 AM »
nice

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 08:07:51 AM »
H4y, let's here the story, the low down...

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 05:50:41 PM »
Thanks guys!   Hern, I learned to listen to the farmers to what they say.  When the farmer says there are no groundhogs here cause the coyotes got them all,I didn't believe him. After sitting for 4 hours two different days there where no groundhogs there! Within the last 2 weeks 2 different farmers said they seen coyotes active between 12 and 3 pm,another farmer said one was sitting and watching him brush hog the field at 3 pm. I myself was driving last week and seen a coyote walking the corn edge next to the road at 1 pm. At that point something clicked and I said I have to try hunting them in the afternoons." Which I never did or even imagined doing",but I had to give it a try. Summer heat in full camo sucks but it paid off. First one shot at 2:18 pm and the second one at 1:50 pm.   2 different farms, 4 miles apart,and both come right in within two minutes of the call.  If u have any ideas or know why there active like that in the afternoons this time of year, I'd love to know why,   Cause I can't explain it!

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 07:39:55 PM »
Thanks guys!   Hern, I learned to listen to the farmers to what they say.  When the farmer says there are no groundhogs here cause the coyotes got them all,I didn't believe him. After sitting for 4 hours two different days there where no groundhogs there! Within the last 2 weeks 2 different farmers said they seen coyotes active between 12 and 3 pm,another farmer said one was sitting and watching him brush hog the field at 3 pm. I myself was driving last week and seen a coyote walking the corn edge next to the road at 1 pm. At that point something clicked and I said I have to try hunting them in the afternoons." Which I never did or even imagined doing",but I had to give it a try. Summer heat in full camo sucks but it paid off. First one shot at 2:18 pm and the second one at 1:50 pm.   2 different farms, 4 miles apart,and both come right in within two minutes of the call.  If u have any ideas or know why there active like that in the afternoons this time of year, I'd love to know why,   Cause I can't explain it!

A lot of people just don't bother with coyotes in the summer..just when the fur is good so, there is a niche to be filled, as you have clearly shown. Coyotes are diurnal, which may be something that some over look too. One farmer I knew would tell me of coyotes out in his fields, mid day as he cut, picking up whatever critters got whacked , they would hang back and as long as he would stay in his tractor they were comfortable and stuck around. Sure the fur ain't worth a lick.. but regardless the coat they're wearing, the challenge is always there. First coyote I ever shot was in the summer. It was first spotted in the field at 11:30 am by my brother, than a few hours later in the same area by my sister, and I called it in and sealed the deal at around 7 that evening after work. That yotee hung out in that field all day for at least 8 hrs.. Congrats on your kills.
PPHA President

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 08:31:13 PM »
Thanks Quattro, like u said not a lot of people hunt them now, but what a rush to see them running into the call no matter what time of year. Don't  matter to me if the temps 85 or -5 I'm out hunting- scouting them. Also both them dogs had great looking summer coats.  I was surprised no mange, ticks , and very few fleas.    I also have a trail cam on a den this year and got some great pics of the pups growing up all summer hanging out around the den. I'll post them sometime.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 08:40:13 PM »
Nice job H4Y!!!

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 09:16:32 PM »
Thanks leglifter! ... We still need to hook up sometime to hunt.  I got a few spots out your way I wanna try. 

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 09:36:26 PM »
Thanks Quattro, like u said not a lot of people hunt them now, but what a rush to see them running into the call no matter what time of year. Don't  matter to me if the temps 85 or -5 I'm out hunting- scouting them. Also both them dogs had great looking summer coats.  I was surprised no mange, ticks , and very few fleas.    I also have a trail cam on a den this year and got some great pics of the pups growing up all summer hanging out around the den. I'll post them sometime.

I hear you man..any times a good time...The yote I took a few weeks back was the same way...other then being thin there was no mange or patches etc.. and it had a cool blonde color..I ended up caping it out and am going to have a howling pedestal mount done and dub it "summer serenade" since this was the dog out howlin and yipping in the evenings before we "met"...thank God I'm buddies with the taxidermist..in the back of my mind I will admit I think how nice that pelt would have been come prime time but i'm sure another is waiting to fill his spot..
PPHA President

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 06:14:20 AM »
Thanks leglifter! ... We still need to hook up sometime to hunt.  I got a few spots out your way I wanna try.

Sounds good,
my work should slow down enough by october ;)

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 09:03:44 PM »
H4y says-
If u have any ideas or know why there active like that in the afternoons this time of year, I'd love to know why,   Cause I can't explain it!
The pups are growing, they need more groceries. Mom and Dad are working over time.
The pups are growing and honing their hunting skills and exploring on their own.
This is peak time for Coyote population.
You are into the family group. You are on location.
Get the alfa Female (check her teets for positive I.D.) Kill 'em all before you spook 'em off.

Come fur time, dispersal occurs, and small game hunters, archery hunters, trappers and others are all taking Coyotes. So it may be tough to take  Coyotes at this same spot, near the denning area, when fur season starts and Coyote home range expands.

Over the years, Farmers have mentioned when they cut hay, they saw Fox or Coyote lurking near by.
I just figured the Canines knew the farmer was stirring up Mice and Rabbits and actually killing Mice and Rabbits. The Canines learned of a free or easy meal, no matter what the time.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:05:05 PM by Hern »

Offline Bees OBrien

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 02:10:31 AM »
awesome job man you know how to work that call But more importantly you did your homework!

Offline Bulldog

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 07:59:56 PM »
Good job hope to see some of those in our hunts