Author Topic: Getting started in Lebanon/Dauphin  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Treitz2010

Getting started in Lebanon/Dauphin
« on: April 30, 2013, 03:17:11 PM »
Hey everyone I'm new to coyote hunting, just looking to get started. I've been out a few times with hand calls and have had no luck...everyone tells me electronic is the best way to go . I've been looking to find out if anyone has had success in these counties and what they suggest? Also, I have a cabin up north in Clearfield/Elk county and just looking to hear if anyone has had some good luck up there because I know there's plenty of coyotes up there...missed a few hunting deer. Anything would be great since I'm very new to this!

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Getting started in Lebanon/Dauphin
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 03:36:30 PM »
Welcome to the PPHA.  Like most things, you'll find a variety of opinions concerning mouth calls verses electronic.  I personally like the FoxPro electronic calls, however, some of our sponsor's are makers of mouth calls, so I've been purchaseing a few of the mouth calls and trying them.

Coyote hunting is a very challengeing sport.  Its not uncommon to call numerous times without actually seeing a dog.  Sometimes you'll actually call one in and not see it.  But when you leave, you'll see the tracks where he circled your set.

I'm from York County and have yet to call in a coyote down here.   However, I have a camp in Clinton / Potter County and have called 4.  Lie anything else, you have to be there when they are.

Good luck, welcome aboard, and happy hunting!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 04:53:57 PM »
Might be helpful to hook up with a PPHA member in your area who hunts coyotes.  Member lists are maintained by the officers and district reps.

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 01:42:02 AM »
that south central area is tough for coyote as there are a lot more fox hunters then coyote hunters... I know when I was up there I educated a bunch of dogs while calling fox... you'll need to change up calls and calling spots... make sure you're downwind from the area you expect the dogs to come from and leave you a good shooting lane that you can spot them before they see or smell you... even at night if there's moonlight, be camo'd and have a back drop to break up your outline, and when you spot eyes make sure you don't take the light off them...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...