Author Topic: Well, How'd you make out?  (Read 5049 times)

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Well, How'd you make out?
« on: October 20, 2012, 10:23:08 AM »
I was looking forward to the first day all season and didn't get out. Mother Nature provided high winds all evening and an hour from the opening it started raining. I set the alarm for 2 am and when I woke it was still raining. What a bummer.  :(
FayetteNam

Offline shortmagger

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Well, How'd you make out?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 05:22:42 PM »
I had a rough start to the season, I did get out for a few hours but it was a very dense fog everywhere I went, had a house cat come in, that was it

Offline RyanX

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 05:40:46 PM »
made four stands between the rain and the fog and got a male grey on the first stand

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 09:49:53 PM »
I guess I can say I called in a cat.I was out in the shop going through my hand calls doing a little practice session and when I was finished I opened the door and there set a cat.

Offline RyanX

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 11:44:24 PM »
just shot my first red fox tonight

Offline shortmagger

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 04:41:32 AM »
The rough start continues, we, (my neighbor/hunting partner,Jake) and I, have made seventeen setups so far this season and haven't put any fur on the rack yet,beautiful night out tonight but cannot call anything in. We had at least five barkers tonight for some reason and did get the one to come in,barking the whole way but he never gave us a shot then............. the rest of what we saw was cats and deer,I passed up a coon on one spot as  we had just started calling and really wanted a fox and Jake shot a coon that somehow made it into a bean field and after a half hr. of looking for it in the dark in waist high beans,we gave up on it,it has been the toughest start to a season I have experienced in four years, and we know they are there, so frustrated right now >:(

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 08:45:44 AM »
Shortmagger,so what are you doing different?Hunting with a partner could it be a lighting situation.Are you using one light or two.Also the early season is tough with some of the crops still standing ,it acts like a fence sometimes.Just making suggestions.Hope you get it worked out soon.

Offline BedfordQDM

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 10:04:42 AM »
Starting out the season with 3 reds, and a huge coon.
PPHA District 4 - York Co./Bedford Co.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 10:22:48 AM »
Bedford,Off to a good start I would say.I assume your name implies where your from?

Offline shortmagger

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 01:49:34 PM »
Foxtrot,I  can't think of anything that we are doing different,I guess thats whats frustrating me so badly, Jake was my hunting partner the past two years also so we kinda have a system and also are used to hunting with each other without lighting each other up or anything,we have always used two scanning lights and only one of us carries a gun unless we split up and do a double set.As far as early season crops,you're right,they do create a problem sometimes but so far what we have hunted we have kinda passed up spots that we normally hunt if there was crops hindering a setup. The thing I don't understand is all the barkers,typically that made me believe they busted us but I really can't see how some of them that barked last night would have, the wind was right and we took care to be silent setting up and such,I see it as it can only get better as the season progresses :)

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 02:02:01 PM »
So far did about 8 stands. Call in a nice bobcat around 10:30 sat night and I called in a grey and my partner killed it.Had one grey bark at us sat morning that is it so far.

Shormagger I had the same problem last year. The frist couple of weeks was blank and then it was like someone turned on a light switch the rest of the season.

Offline BedfordQDM

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 03:42:40 PM »
Bedford,Off to a good start I would say.I assume your name implies where your from?

It was a good night. We saw 4 more foxes that we did not get shooting at.

I'm actually in southern York Co., but I own a place with 90 acres in Bedford Co. that I do food plots, habitat work, etc. on. Hence the name.

Good luck everyone!
PPHA District 4 - York Co./Bedford Co.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 04:01:59 PM »
See my post " A 1st X 6".  Starting off with a blast and I never took a shot.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline shortmagger

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 04:10:52 PM »
Brushwolf,I hope you're right about them turning on , you did a great job on the grays last year if I remember right

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 04:39:52 PM »
Sounds good to me. Went out last night and seen 3 coons in the same tree but they were all really small. It was before midnight but I decided not to shoot em. Got one red. Seen another one, I think. It was mousing and could never get a positive ID on it through the grass.
FayetteNam