Author Topic: Standing verses Sitting down  (Read 5109 times)

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Standing verses Sitting down
« on: August 03, 2012, 10:35:27 PM »
I wanted to ask the guys out thier that use to sit down at there sets that now shoot off a tripod and stand up at there sets? Do you feel or did your success go up? Right now I sit at my sets and I am thinking of getting one of Ernies tripods and start to stand up at my sets at night. But wanted to ask to see who out thier use to sit down at night and then coverted and now stands up at night with the tripod.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Standing verses Sitting down
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 11:11:43 PM »
I have never really liked sitting or kneeling while on stand. Trying to find an accurate way to stand and kill effectively was the hard part. But buying a tripod was prob one of the better investments i have made for predator hunting. You can see better standing compared to sitting. Your typically quieter if you have to move 90 deg to your right for example. Your shot is steadier. The only con is maybe the weight but its not a problem considering the pluses. Definately increased kills on animals i have called in weather i shot or someone else hunting with me.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 10:49:02 PM »
I get the feeling your getting a tripod unless someone comes up with a good reason not to.I have used a tripod and it has definite advantages such as better visibility,shooter comfort,possibly more accurate.But the issue I was seeing was the fact that your profile is alot larger standing up than kneeling down and animals in a lot of cases would not approach as closely.If you enjoy the challenge of long shots or have a frequent need to take long shots which is the case with coyotes especially I would say its probably the way to go.I you like getting things up close and personal I would stay on the ground.I won't argue that a tripod is a good shooting platform but its a little deeper than that.To be honest it comes down to what works best for you.If you aren't happy with what you have you should try something else that's how you get better.Good luck and if you get one give it a good workout and give us your opinion.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 10:51:18 PM by foxtrot »

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 10:54:38 PM »
Something else I remember is what do you do when you have eyes looking at you before you have time to set up?Can you set up a tripod without spooking the predator?

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 01:56:54 PM »
I think you just made up my mind.

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 04:56:58 PM »
I have a tripod I use depending on the area I hunt. Its another thing to carry, but I don't go out without it in my truck. Some nights I never use it, others I do almost every stand. If you have the money to invest in one, then buy one. It makes a great rest to sight guns in, and I have used mine to deer hunt with at the edge of a field. Dropped a nice 9 pt while using mine.

Offline predhunter82

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 07:04:09 PM »
I decided to try out a tripod this year. I didn't want to make a huge investment so i found this one and it has worked great for me so this year the few times i have taken it out whistle pig hunting with me. I think that a tripod at night is going to be the way to go. Sure it takes a little longer to set up. And if you are worried about walking into an area and seeing eyes and want to make for a quick shot. have your legs pre extended and use it lie you would mono pod. Attached is the Hammers tripod that i got.
http://www.amazon.com/Hammers-Telescopic-Shooting-Tripod-Height/dp/B001ORBBP6
Chris Gilga
District 3

Tools: T/C 22-250, Savage 10 Predator .204 Ruger, Remington 11-87 12 ga, Fox Pro Fury, EWT Kill Lights 250 and 100. Various Mouth Calls

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 08:31:41 PM »
I try not to promote other peoples business but I do think that some of the best tripods in the business are available from right here in Pa.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 12:07:27 PM »
I have video somewhere of a fox i seen out in a field. I got the tripod setup video camera turned on and squeeked him in to within 10 yds and sat there.  I have not noticed any problem with animals not comin in to within range. Also notice that. Both abolt and shortmagger lay low many a fox. As well as foxtrot. Its all matter to what you like.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline shortmagger

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 12:16:24 PM »
    It really is all about what a person likes,I have tried shooting sticks and also bipods, I however, actually think a person can cause more commotion spinning with bipods or shooting sticks to get on an approaching critter than a tripod,but maybe is just that I'm clumsy while trying to stay low. I love my tripod and haven't hunted without it ever since i made it,but, as other people have said,it's all personal preference.I always stand on my sets as I feel like I lose so much visibility when I hunker down or sit.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:21:02 PM by shortmagger »

Offline foxfx

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 12:29:48 PM »
tripod +1

Once I started using one, my misses were reduced drastically.  I was also able to take more shots at longer ranges.  I feel its worth lugging the 15 pounds along.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 12:36:18 PM »
I use both now as the stand dictates.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline smokey

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 03:04:06 PM »
I try to sit as much as possible.  I only stand when good cover exists or my backs out of place!!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 05:04:53 PM »
I use one every stand at night. :-)
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 10:34:30 PM »
I wouldn't mind trying one out.  I cannot imagine using it in all of the place I hunt but definitely some spots with woods behind me to break up my outline.  I mostly hunt cornfields for reds.