Author Topic: Shooting on a hill  (Read 2351 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Shooting on a hill
« on: July 05, 2012, 11:01:52 AM »
I know this is common sense for most but when shooting down hill aim low and when shooting up hill aim high.I struggle to remember this in the heat of the moment.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Shooting on a hill
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 10:04:32 PM »
I never really worried about it at the ranges I shoot at but its an interesting concept to test for sure.  I wonder how far a target has to be before it matters enough to get out of Minute of fox?
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.redeyesops.com
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 02:49:06 PM »
When comparing everything involved apples to apples (ranges, velocities, temperature, altitude, wind speed etc) the below is how I know it to be.  I am not that great at math so here it is in simplified form.

- Velocity of the bulllet when shot under identical conditions does not change whether shooting up/down hill or on a horizontal plane.

- The true verticle drop of the bullet is the same as well regardless if it is an up hill/down hill or horizontal plane shot.  What changes is the effects of gravity on bullets that are shot up and or down hill.  The degree on angle is a factor in this as well.  Without getting into angles, cosines and so on basically just remember that when shooting up or down hill your bullet will strike higher due to the effects of gravity.  Steeper angles and farther shots would adversely affect your shot if you shoot like how most sight in their rifles on a horizontal plane.  Minute of a fox would be quite easily be missed under the right circumstances.  Good luck this season and on angle shots hold low.  How low is determined by the above factors.

Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 04:04:21 PM »
When comparing everything involved apples to apples (ranges, velocities, temperature, altitude, wind speed etc) the below is how I know it to be.  I am not that great at math so here it is in simplified form.

- Velocity of the bulllet when shot under identical conditions does not change whether shooting up/down hill or on a horizontal plane.

- The true verticle drop of the bullet is the same as well regardless if it is an up hill/down hill or horizontal plane shot.  What changes is the effects of gravity on bullets that are shot up and or down hill.  The degree on angle is a factor in this as well.  Without getting into angles, cosines and so on basically just remember that when shooting up or down hill your bullet will strike higher due to the effects of gravity.  Steeper angles and farther shots would adversely affect your shot if you shoot like how most sight in their rifles on a horizontal plane.  Minute of a fox would be quite easily be missed under the right circumstances.  Good luck this season and on angle shots hold low.  How low is determined by the above factors.

Gotta make you sweat it a little brother!!!

Ryan.
District 4

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.redeyesops.com
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 12:00:13 AM »
Ryan - Behave yourself.  I will not do trig, linear footage and of the sort.  I am not in college and prefer to be a simplistic rifleman who is not good at math.  Now go do your math homework college boy.  lol
Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 04:41:23 PM »
Ryan - Behave yourself.  I will not do trig, linear footage and of the sort.  I am not in college and prefer to be a simplistic rifleman who is not good at math.  Now go do your math homework college boy.  lol

You lied to me lol

Ryan
District 4