Author Topic: Came upon a pack.  (Read 2942 times)

Offline scottm2012

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Came upon a pack.
« on: June 08, 2012, 05:11:10 AM »
    Was out spot lighting last night with the family, just got into it and seen 2 pair of deer in some back wood fields.  As we were climbing the next rise my wife says "stop the truck", her window is open we hear a pack of coyotes howling (I guess assembling for the nights hunt).  Luckily, I had my howler in the truck and gave a invitation howl, a split second of silence then they started up the howling again.  I thought I heard the old male give a howl.  I then gave em pup distress with a pup squaller and that shut em right up.  First time I've heard them since the new year.  Very close to home too.  I'm thinking of getting permission from the property owner just to see if they are denned up in that draw.  Eager for a fall hunt.
   BTW seen over 30 deer last night, one large herd of about 12.  Not one fawn though. 
Scott Morgan
District 3
TC Venture 308, Savage 340C 222, Dan Thompson and Bees O'Brien Calls 

"I am not your subject. I am the man who keeps you free. I am not your servant. I am the person whom you serve. I am not your peasant. I am the flesh and blood of America."

Joshua Boston

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
Re: Came upon a pack.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 02:51:38 PM »
Nice!
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill

Offline scottm2012

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 10:36:57 PM »
Yep, definitely denned up there.  I went out again tonight and got a response from them again.  I would say a minimum of fifteen dogs in that pack. 
Scott Morgan
District 3

"I am not your subject. I am the man who keeps you free. I am not your servant. I am the person whom you serve. I am not your peasant. I am the flesh and blood of America."

Joshua Boston

Offline takemrarely

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 05:48:00 AM »
Why would you wait until fall to hunt them?

If you are seeing deer , but no fawns now, I would be on them asap......

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 06:57:47 AM »
scottm2012,Not saying its not possible but you and the deer have real problems if there's that many coyotes in one location.A couple coyotes can make enough noise to sound like a large pack.

Offline scottm2012

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 08:39:44 AM »
Why would you wait until fall to hunt them?

If you are seeing deer , but no fawns now, I would be on them asap......

Yeah, I'm thinking of presenting this to the landowners in the area.  I'm going to do a little scouting to confirm the numbers (hopefully, I'll be able to get close).  If there is a large number like I think, the pack definitely needs a little thinned out.
Scott Morgan
District 3

Joshua Boston

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 09:10:17 AM »
Go get em Scott!
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill

Offline scottm2012

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 09:41:46 AM »
Well, I've got the address of the owners.  They live clear down in Berks County.  I've sent them a permission request letter to hunt their property.  I've got some requests for Northern Tier D3 members.  Will post the requests in the members section.
Scott Morgan
District 3

Joshua Boston

Offline kyle21

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 10:35:22 PM »
not sure id keep going out calling to them without...wouldnt want to ejumacate them!  ???

Offline scottm2012

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 04:55:28 PM »
Just got permission yesterday as a matter of fact.  I went to see if they were still around, gave a location howl and got nothing in return.  Will do some scouting sometime this week and see if they are still around.  I know the females usually den up during spring and have their litters, when normally do the pups get weaned?
Scott Morgan
District 3

Joshua Boston