Author Topic: District 4 May Coyote Hunts  (Read 5310 times)

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
District 4 May Coyote Hunts
« on: April 29, 2012, 08:24:24 PM »
Whatsup guys...im new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself..My name is James Cooper and i am in the harrisburg area of D4..ive never hunted anything except dove before and no offence but i dont see much sport in deer hunting and decided id rather hunt the hunter...i will be on the forums alot and im asking if anyone would be willing to take me with them on a coyote hunt just so i can see all of my research in action...also..i need a good load for a 243...i cant find that 1" group at 200...any advice????
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: District 4 May Coyote Hunts
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 08:30:46 PM »
Welcome James,
I'm sure someone from your area will chime in shortly, the boards are kind of slow this time of year

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 08:36:47 PM »
Thanks for thewelcome..im really considering payin dues and joinin all the way up...seems like a tight knit group of guys and love the idea of seminars...

My uncle lives about 300ft from a sheep farm and hes been seeing coyotes about once a week in his driveway and one of his dogs (a boxer) was just badly attacked and he believes it was the yotes..ive done alotta research and know where to start but dont have ANY experience and dont wanna mess it up lol..just need some experience to help me scout a stand and call em in
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 02:38:44 AM »
i need my first yote to fall to my rem 700..any help is greatly appreciated!
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 08:36:06 AM »
Thanks for joining the boards.  98% of guys do not hunt coyotes until the fall at this point for many reasons.  Pups and fur being the two biggest.  Keep reading the boards for tips and consider becoming a PPHA member.  You will get access to more threads on the forum with more info.  Soak it all in and don't get discouraged.........Tim
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 11:39:56 AM »
Ok cool..is there anything i CAN do with yotes right now considering they are attacking domestic dogs and need to be erased??
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 01:27:27 PM »
It is legal to hunt them so yeah, you can get after them.  Try setting up right before daylight with the wind in your favor.  Full camo is a must.  Pup distress, fawn bawls and turkey calls are all good this time of year.  Call for a couple minutes and sit and scan for twenty minutes then repeat for an hour.  Good Luck.........Tim
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 02:41:53 PM »
great advice...but one problem..i only have a rabbit squealer (thats pissin the ol lady off while i practice)i guess it cant hurt to try
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 06:53:10 PM »
Cooper13
Rabbit is a good sound. Location is more inportant then sound. Go after them like you are after a big buck, do not just go in and think just calling is the key. I heard some god awful callers that that kill plenty of coyotes. If they were better callers they would even do better. But there woodsmanship and coyote numbers helps them get the job done. Sounds like you have the numbers. Good luck. :)
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline jerad188

• Junior Forum Member
  • South eastern District 5
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 08:09:08 PM »
First daylight worked well with me last month. But if I woulda been 2 minutes later I would have been busted. I barely had my butt on the ground and shells in my gun before that big female roamed out through the field. So watch spooking them when going to your spot. They might still be there from the night before or just coming out when turkeys come off the roost . I'd gladley come hunt if I wasn't 3 hrs away. And like was said before, don't get discouraged, It was over a year before I got me first yote. Took lots of time!
Addicted to fur for sure

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 09:16:03 PM »
excellent guys...so pretty much scout a stand get there before daybreak without a path that the yote will pick up my scent...camo in ...call for 30 sec to 1 min then wait 15-20..do this for an hour..and if nothing comes within2 hours..pack up and leave?? thats what i understand for basics..am i on the right track??
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill

Offline jerad188

• Junior Forum Member
  • South eastern District 5
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 09:31:34 PM »
Also the yote usually will take the easiest path to get it where it wants to go. So if u walk up a atv trail or tram road that is heading into wind, he might also take the same route and smell your trail. Maybe think about a decoy of some sort? Keeps there eyes off you, they might catch on to loud squeals and no movement. Even a stick with a turkey feather tied on it moving in the wind could do the trick.
Addicted to fur for sure

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 09:35:33 PM »
If they do not show up in less then an hour, I personally would leave. I am not a long stayer on stands.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 08:06:30 AM »
I am from d4 but don't hunt coyotes much this time of year because their pelt is no good. However a couple farms that I have permission to hunt/trap will call me every time they hear or see a coyote because they want them dead. Thats understandable...In that case I go after them to keep relationships healthy and happy. There is no rule written in stone for calling coyotes. You just need good ol experience to put your head knowledge to use. Buckwheat gave you good advice....I love hunting mature bucks...have killed a few...woodsmanship goes a long way...

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
ok cool...thanks fellas..im gonna get out there in the next few weeks and see what i can do...thanks!
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill