Author Topic: may, june coyotes...  (Read 5961 times)

Offline jerad188

• Junior Forum Member
  • South eastern District 5
may, june coyotes...
« on: April 17, 2012, 10:46:40 PM »
Everyone's talkin bout having there last coyote hunt for the season but I try an hunt them all year just for practice and fun. Why does everyone quit hunting them now? Poor pelts and mosquitoes?

Anyways how is spring and summer hunting different from late winter ? I knows there's coyotes all around but haven't been hearing them howl for quite some time now. Should I not howl or bark now either while trying to call them?
Addicted to fur for sure

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
Re: may, june coyotes...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 08:03:18 AM »
Coyote pup distress should be a good sound to use this time of year as well as fawn distress. Had a farmer call me yesterday and complain that he thought he heard a coyote howling the previous night. Promised to go out there and call sometime in the next week. I am not sure if he heard a coyote or a fox, but I will find out soon. I plan to do a set up right before dark and if that don't yield anything I am going to wait a day or two and do another right after daylight. Going to have to dig in my safe and pull out my good ol 204 or 223 wssm.  ;)

Offline mountainmen80

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 11:27:15 AM »
Im done with school in the 1st week of may so i plan to turkey hunt the mornings and coyote hunt the nights, I assumed everyone was done with their yote hunting so i didnt bother asking if anyone wanted to go out in May

Offline jerad188

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 07:59:19 PM »
Not me.. I don't usually hunt turkey unless I see them from the house and try the sneak attack on them.  Coyotes are on my list 365 days a year! Been tryin to get a hunt on film but never have anyone to go with to shoot
Addicted to fur for sure

Offline mountainmen80

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 11:33:47 PM »
o that sounds like a cool idea, I'm gonna try and get out as much as possible, I haven't shot a yote yet so now that school is out of the way, hopefully I'll be able to whack one up at my camp

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 07:44:01 AM »
The biggest difference is SEEING 'em coming.
Tall grass, leaves on brush, undergrowth and saplings.
So setup location is key during the summer.
Even the end furrow of worked fields will hide an approaching Coyote.
A mix of Distress sounds and Coyote sounds is what I use all season.

During this time of year, locating a den will increase your odds.

I do hunt Spring/Summer when I get a control job.
Got some trail cam pics of a pair on nuisance Coyote recently. Got the location on the den now.
Next step to make game plan.
Got some nuisance Groundhog and Skunk traps out and Spring Gobbler is around the corner (got some scouted). But I'll work the Coyotes for sure.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:45:20 AM by Hern »

Offline jerad188

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 08:12:21 AM »
I just found a huge den over the weekend and with this freak snow we just got ill be goin later to look for tracks. I'm assuming they're using the den because there's chicken, groundhog, and rabbit carcasses all around so. Now I just gotta figure out where to setup and when. I'm thinkin early morning / daybreak
Addicted to fur for sure

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 10:02:55 AM »
Got get em Jared188...daybreak is good but you might be better off going in there in the afternoon and waiting till evening to call. Just thought maybe an early morning trek into the area could spook the coyotes before you call. They will be out hunting and your chances of them seeing you may be higher. Just my opinion...of course you may have a good approach all planned out....what you do before you call determines at least 95% of your success.

Offline jerad188

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 10:32:55 AM »
That sounds like a good plan too. I'll probably try to stay about 200 yards from the den? There's no nice field around so ilk be setting up in the woods most likely.
Addicted to fur for sure

Offline jerad188

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 11:51:34 AM »
What about other distress calls? Coyote hunting is becoming more popular around here and everyone and there brother has a rabbit squealer. Anyone ever used bird distress? Or squirrel?
Addicted to fur for sure

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 02:11:22 PM »
I've had them come into screamin gray and JS grey fox distress.
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 05:31:44 PM »
I like the good ol rabbit distress. I have used woodpecker distress with some success. Never tried a squirrel sound, but they have let me know lots of times when something is coming.

Offline jerad188

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
I'm up in ny right now and stopped at a outdoor place found a product called "coyote juice" gonna try it out to since ill be right up in there territory
Addicted to fur for sure

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 07:03:18 AM »
188 says-
I just found a huge den over the weekend...

If you caused much disturbance, the gyp may move pups to another site.
Checking out den sites is touchy. Stay to long...you're wrong. Coyotes have different tolerance levels which makes den checking a touchy situation.
I made this mistake a couple of times.
It's a bummer work'n a den and nothing is there, but last week was very active. Hard pill to swollow.

188, try to get a bit closer to den so you can kill pups too.

Offline jerad188

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 01:43:40 PM »
The den was 4 feet from a atv trail and there was fresh prey killed there so they must be using it. It's a big one!. I'll post results and hopefully a video this weekend. If I get time to go
Addicted to fur for sure