Author Topic: Coyote Calling  (Read 3537 times)

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Coyote Calling
« on: March 04, 2012, 08:50:16 PM »
I don't have much coyote hunting experience compared to alot of you guys on here cause there just aren't dogs near me.  However, with fox done and groundhogs and trout not here yet I went Saturday.  Can you experienced guys tell me your call sequence.  I am wondering if you have more luck with a lone howl or two or starting with prey distress calls.  I've heard guys say just howl and wait and others say switch off every five minutes, etc.  Educate me fellows...

Funny how I had to discipline myself to stay on stand for 30+ after being used to leaving after 10 minutes when fox hunting ;)

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
Re: Coyote Calling
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 02:38:47 AM »
I run my yoty stands for an hour call 5 mins, silent 10, call 5 silent 10. Repeat.   Its tough to say "this is the golden ticket" best way to learn though is just givin it a try. I'm not real big on coyote vocalizations so I'm not exactly the most educated person but I hope this helped.

Ryan.
District 4

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 03:59:11 PM »
Wow...I am surprised my brothers on here do not hunt yotes...   :o

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 08:11:26 AM »
We all hunt coyotes but most of us don't live in coyote rich areas of the state.  Just because you are not getting a response doesn't mean the opposite.  Others, myself including don't feel comfortable giving a lot of coyote advise because I kill very very few of them and do not consider myself a coyote hunter.  There is no magic sequence from what I have seen.  Time of year and available prey determine a lot when it comes to sequence for me.  Stay away from dominant vocalizations because you are shooting yourself in the foot before you even get started.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 12:47:22 PM »
I am to busy working day and night right now to hunt. I like to use female voculizations this time of year along with some distress sounds. If you are into thinning out a whole pack easy then use pup distress around the end of April/beginning of May. I have used fawn distress in June and July with excellent results but you will call in mad does with that sound. I have hunted very little this last month. Just have been to busy but if I went I would use the female inv. and if no response  do a distress.

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 04:40:54 PM »
Does anybody think my chances of daytime calling coyotes is good or should I stick to night?

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 05:55:25 PM »
I think your chances are good right before dark or the first couple hours of light.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 09:36:57 PM »
I agree with Lookn4fur.Don't give up on the night hunting though thats when they are more vocal.

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 09:45:32 PM »
Just want to give a big shout out to Uncle Buck...he sent me a lot of great tips to help me out.   :)  He is a smart guy.

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 08:52:51 AM »
Lookn4fur is right about daytime calling. Nights can be fun, but the last two coyotes I shot were in the daytime. One right after daybreak...the other right before dark...its easier when you don't have to be shining a light. The one at daybreak was with coyote howls and the one right before dark rabbit distress. These were both late winter coyotes....I just don't get enough chances to get out there and kill em. I should say its just not high enough on my priority list right now.

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.redeyesops.com
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 08:19:48 PM »
This weekend called in four.  Three in the daylight and one at night.  Only one came in silent of the four and it was the night time solo coyote.  Both day and nights will produce.  I tend to get alittle more shooting in the daytime for what its worth.
Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 09:59:53 PM »
I have yet to hear one in daylight,but I quess it happens.

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 12:20:26 PM »
Thanks for all the input fellows!  Friday was to windy.  I had hoped to get out last night after church but the recliner was just to comfy.  I plan to head out next weekend.  I think my problem is I don't have a spot where I know there are coyotes but I do know of two spots that I have heard folks have seen or trapped coyotes in years past.

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 08:40:03 PM »
Great info on here fellas..very useful to us coyote newbies lol
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill