Author Topic: Building up my bolt gun  (Read 2316 times)

Offline DaveyC

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Building up my bolt gun
« on: February 20, 2012, 05:19:26 PM »
I have a Remington 700 police in .308Win. I've been wanting to build it up for long range competition and deer hunting for some time now. I really need a gun for coyotes as well that can really reach out there and touch them. So, I was thinking about using Lapua Scenar for my competition and deer loads and some 150 gr. Lapua FMJ for coyotes/fox. I was just curious as to what some of the more senior members thought about shooting predators with a 308. Will there be massive amounts of fur damage, or will it more than likely pass right through with a .308" hole in each side?

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Re: Building up my bolt gun
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 08:51:56 PM »
DavetC
Sorry, to much gun but if that is all you have use it. I do not know if solids are legal in PA but a big caliber with a solid bullet even after hitting dirt can skip a long ways. I personally would not feel safe shooting a solid bullet in most places in PA.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline savage05

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 07:13:47 AM »
Dave I shot a big female coyote in between the shoulder blades using a 168 gr Barnes TSX open tipped .308. Distance was a hair under 200 yds and it was a clean entry and exit approximately the size of a dime for both holes. Her spinal column was crushed as the angle I shot from was roughly 25 degrees above the coyote (from a bluff top to a low swale). If all I had to shoot coyotes with was a .308, I wouldn't feel badly about using Barnes or even Amax tips, I have no experience with Scenars on game animals but I'm pretty sure they would hold together even on the toughest coyote shoulder without cratering.

I would not use FMJs to hunt with, for the amount of shooting that goes with coyote hunting I'd go with a slightly more expensive but expanding tip.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 07:16:24 AM by savage05 »

Offline morrisblueivy

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 09:02:27 PM »
shot a coyote in bear season with 30-06 180grn. rnd nose nice hole in nice hole out. minimal fur damage had more with 22 mag. using 40 grn hollow points.