Author Topic: Enough light?  (Read 4566 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Enough light?
« on: January 14, 2012, 05:42:32 PM »
With the ever changing and improving hunting light choices do you think its possible to have to much light?

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Enough light?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 07:29:49 AM »
I was having this conversation yesterday with a friend.  Yes I do think you can have too much light but I don't think we are there yet.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 10:49:18 AM »
Yes
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 10:50:04 AM by Brushwolf »

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 10:32:34 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has had times when the predators retreated when hit with the bright shooting lights?

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 11:08:34 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has had times when the predators retreated when hit with the bright shooting lights?

Yes, Its called "Burning" them if they're blinking, its too bright

Ryan.
District 4

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 02:28:31 AM »
Especially when you hit them with the direct beam of a  white light...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:29:10 AM by uncle buck »

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 09:29:59 AM »
I respectfully disagree with the blinking part of your statement.  I have several fox blink at me every year that I kill.

Predators blink there eyes in the daylight too and there is no artificial light on them.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 09:33:56 AM »
I respectfully disagree with the blinking part of your statement.  I have several fox blink at me every year that I kill.

Predators blink there eyes in the daylight too and there is no artificial light on them.

What I mean is If you notice they're blinking excessively, It will be obvious when it happens. and Usually they the "Surprise" foxes.

Ryan.
District 4

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 09:36:48 AM »
I understand but still disagree. 

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 10:13:50 AM »
The Killlight is a good light but the CoyoteTLR is a better light

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 06:03:42 PM »

What I mean is If you notice they're blinking excessively, It will be obvious when it happens. and Usually they the "Surprise" foxes.

Ryan.

I know what Ryan means and have had it happen when I started night hunting. the fox will blink excessively and turn its head instead of looking right at you

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 09:34:26 PM »
LL, they're not blinking at your aggressively because you're light is too powerful, they're blinking excessively because,well, you're hard to look at...even at 100 yards.... :o
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 10:02:15 PM »
Critterslayer51
LOL  that is probably as good an answere why critters blink that I have read in years.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 05:38:50 AM »
I see how it it ::)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 09:15:06 AM »
I have not noticed an animal blinking excessively even with using a white led.  the way you use your light makes a big difference as well. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”