Author Topic: shotguns for coon  (Read 2324 times)

Offline Ruger FL

shotguns for coon
« on: October 22, 2011, 09:51:06 PM »
want to take my boy out this year calling coon and wondering what gauge,choke size and shot size do you use that i won't be patching holes all night.

Thanks,
Ruger FL

uncle buck

Re: shotguns for coon
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 12:44:10 AM »
For coon you should use a rimfire rifle or hand gun (Non semiautomatic of course).... 22 LR would work... Fur buyer frown on shotgunned coon...

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 08:36:10 AM »
want to take my boy out this year calling coon and wondering what gauge,choke size and shot size do you use that i won't be patching holes all night.

Thanks,
Ruger FL

if you just going out to get some pelts to tan and stick on the wall then a shotgun will do.   Furbuyers do not like a shotguned coon because they sell the pelts with skin turned out.  unlike fox which are turned in for final sale. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 09:21:30 AM »
How old is your boy?  If hes young than I would say a 20 with a #5 turkey load.  I would rather get my kid some critters than a few more bucks from the fur buyer. IMO

Offline Ruger FL

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 08:36:02 PM »
Thanks for the info..my boy is 12. he uses a 22 for squirrel so he is a good shot..we will be keeping some and selling some pelts..i guess i'll just keep the shotgun in the safe then for coon..thanks again.

Offline Bees OBrien

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 08:13:52 AM »
I use a 22 mag between the old eyes does the trick, but watch coons can be a very tough critter........ive shot some right between the eyes and still had them snarl at me...........they break the laws of nature lol