Author Topic: Coyote Locating  (Read 2299 times)

Offline dvonj14

Coyote Locating
« on: September 16, 2011, 08:59:30 PM »
I'm fairly new to predator hunting.  I've called a few fox and decided to give coyote a try this season.  Last season I had one sneak in on me after a set for fox, couldn't get a shot, but it sparked my interest.  I have tried locator howls before with some luck but not very often, even in areas where I have seen signs of coyotes.   So when is the best time to use locator howls and get a response? early in the morning, sundown, night? and where to howl from and how often?

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Coyote Locating
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 08:39:21 AM »
The best time to locate in my opinion would be the first half of the night.It seems to go quiet the closer you get to morning.Although I have heard them in the very early morning hours I would lean more towards the hours up to and including midnight.You can locate using howls but take the chance of educating them as well as having an unexpected call in.I have had that happen while using howls to locate and never get a vocal response but a physical response.So be prepared if your locating with howls.I have never used a siren but from what I hear that seems to work fairly well.Also if I was just going out to locate try to pick a night that is perfectly calm.A frosty moonlit night with no wind is perfect.When you pull your vehicle into an area and shut it off wait a while before you make any sounds,let things calm down and be prepared to stay a while.Drop the tailgate and break out the coffee or hot chocolate.I'm sure there are guys on here that have a lot more experience than I and it would be nice to here there thoughts.This is a very important topic in the quest for the elusive coyote.

Offline dvonj14

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 04:05:20 PM »
I appreciate the help foxtrot.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 10:34:24 PM »
If using a mouth blown howler is there a specific type of howler that has more shock power for locating??
The Elk howlers sound real good and the mouth diaphram sounds good but the simple open read howlers really get the neighbors dogs fired up.It seems the open reed can really reach out.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 10:36:19 PM by foxtrot »

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 09:16:57 PM »
Was out the other night locating some coyotes.The happy couple in the parking lot sure looked surprised as we come pulling in with the sirens blaring.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 08:14:34 AM »
No.  I knew it was you! :o :o
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 07:28:28 PM »
Lookn4fur,Was it date night?

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 08:38:01 AM »
It was until you showed up! ;D
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!