Author Topic: Suburban coyotes  (Read 4542 times)

Offline bloodhound

• Junior Forum Member
Suburban coyotes
« on: May 17, 2011, 08:12:35 AM »
I know most do not like to hunt yotes during the pup rearing days, they feel they dont wanna over harvest the dogs in areas they hunt

In my opinion, = I hunt around the suburbs more than the country and I feel that there is not enough hunters killing them in these areas so taking out pups/yote at this time is beneficial...  I dont think it would upset the eco system... More dog's die on the road by cars than hunters around here in Pittsburgh...

What is your thoughts???

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Suburban coyotes
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 08:53:36 AM »
Hunters could never wipe them out,
I don't hunt this time of year for a few reasons:

Too warm
too busy
not prime fur
too many bugs
the more coyotes there are, the more areas you have to hunt.
the more coyotes there are, the more coyote sightings there are by landowners that don't want them= more permissions.

Not that I kill a lot of anything, but these are my opinions

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:27:54 AM »
I don't have a problem with people hunting them this time of year but I don't do it for many of the same reasons leglifter listed.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 10:28:34 AM »
Can you shoot them with milk still on their lips?

Ryan.
District 4

Offline bloodhound

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 01:47:26 PM »
My truck is in the shop and my mind was wondering... lol Plus the board seemed dead, SO...............  ;D

I'm thinking since we can hunt turkey in the afternoons now and my son told me he heard a few different groups of yotes howling the other night,  taking my 835 for a walk...

my7pointmonster- Ryan, I wouldn't hesitate...  ;D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 01:48:45 PM by bloodhound »

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 02:33:42 PM »
I don't like to hunt them this time of year because i can't see starving the pups.  But for those that do, have at it. 

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 03:34:43 PM »
I do not hunt them much either, but it is because I do not have a lot in my area so I am not tempted. But there are people that want them all shot. Some people hate them bad and want them all shot and do not care when. They can do a lot of damage in a short time in some areas so I can see these people’s sides. Who knows, ten years from now we might all hate them?
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 05:01:49 PM »

Suburban Coyote

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 09:00:16 PM »
There is no way people will wipe them out. Believe me when it comes to the Pa Eastern Coyote...most times they win.

It's tougher this time of the year all the overgrowth and such..Believe me I wouldn't worry about the pups. Same coyotes are not worrying about the fawns that they are going to kill for those pups..Right now..May -June....sheep and fawns and turkeys...Coyote Pup Protein....

Offline bloodhound

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 12:58:54 PM »
Same coyotes are not worrying about the fawns that they are going to kill for those pups  Thats how I look at it Uncle Buck... I have seen a decline in deer #'s in the area I hunt around Allegheny County/2B and a increase of yote sign/sightings...

I don't feel wiping out the whole litter/pack will make a lick of difference... They are here to stay...

Offline beastman

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 04:25:02 PM »
I am not so soft hearted I fret about coyote pups but I am a little afraid that if you kill one of the pair it may make the other a little more desperate.  Forcing it to pursue food where it may not have before.  That of course could be complete bs but I'd rather they take a deer fawn then take a chunk out of my lab....  My opinion is also tainted cause I just had to pay a hundred dollar deductable to get my car fixed. lol

uncle buck

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 05:55:57 PM »
Coyotes are opportunist.... fawn, turkey, and a dog under 28 pounds are all considered food...No matter what you do they will kill...

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 06:08:17 PM »
so my 29 lb dog is safe?

uncle buck

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 07:19:10 PM »
The 28 pound factor, I got this info from that Women doctor that did the NH study..She is a biologist and knows coyotes. This is the study that one of our previous members D A V E    D U N B A R worked with..

I think what she used as a factor that MOST Eastern adult Coyotes weight is about 28 pounds.. So hence why a domestic dog of the same poundage to own up.. Now I said coyote... You start to go plural...two 29 pound coyotes... I think that same 29 pound dog is now in trouble..Should the coyote be like some of the monster coyote that I have seen taken in Pa...40-50+ even a 29  pounder domestic dog don't stand a chance up against a 50 pound coyote...Unless that domestic dog has more brain then weight of  28 pounds.  I think what the good doctor was trying to say here is: If your dog is a Jack Russel, a Beagle, A dachshund it's a goner.. On the reverse take two 28 pound foxhounds and that 28 pound coyote probably a goner.. Unless his brain is a bit smarter then the two domestic dogs..Things don't win by strength alone...

Some other things I have caught from the doctor that they did in the NH study are:

That coyote core areas will be near water, swamps, or lakes.

That they group up in a pack and there are certain pack in different areas. This is why playing with their brain works so well!!!  

That if a coyote is given the same food for an extended period of time that it will get to like it.. So those sheep farmers that keep throwing dead sheep out on a pile are really creating those coyotes in the area to have a hankering for mutton..
Now you would think that all the dead deer piles on all the PGL would truly make the coyotes in the area deer killers? I have hunted the piles for deer on a PGL but did not see any predators but I did see trails going and coming from the pits and SOME of the dead venison eaten. what a shame that your camera would be stolen on public lands like this.. you could truly see what does visit the PITS. You could take a chance that no one would find or see the camera?

Sadly I  don't even know the name of this Doctor.. I could go and do a web check I suppose.. However would I like to sit down with her for supper one evening and pick her brain!!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:33:22 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 07:50:30 PM »

Here is the web site on the study...  Notice the picture of the pups in the field...They sure do look like they can chew venison now.  This is suppose to be a picture of pups in May. 

http://www.theconservationagency.org/coyote.htm