Author Topic: too much bait?  (Read 2473 times)

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
  • There aint no such thing as too dead...
too much bait?
« on: April 29, 2011, 09:55:08 PM »
I recently was havin a talk with one of my hunting buddies about going to a roadkill dump near my home some evening and seeing if we could maybe ambush a yote comin in for an easy meal. I thought this would be a good idea. He said not because there is so much food there,they know its there and the don't have to fight over it. He said it would be a better idea in the winter months when food is more scarce. Any thoughts ?

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
Re: too much bait?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 08:40:05 AM »
i agree.  this time of year there is plenty of food for them to eat.  it's like the leftovers in your fridge, or a fresh steak off the grill.  which one would you pick? 

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 01:26:41 AM »
What was recently brought to our attention is that some of the roadkill dumps are off limits to hunting.  Dumps that might be in bear country etc etc... Normally signs are posted if it not legal to hunt there..
However a smart COYOTE hunter could find trails that lead toward the roadkill dump and ambush coyotes as they go from their cover toward the dumps to feed...Remember too....winter the venison is frozen then too.. heard a story once that the coyotes wait there by the dead deer and gut piles and eat the fox and other critters that come to the frozen meat to eat..They don't waste their energy eating frozen food..

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 10:51:23 AM »
They don't waste their energy eating frozen food..

I disagree
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 10:51:42 AM by Leglifter »

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 11:10:03 AM »
some of the best bait stations are made by filling a 5 gal bucket with meat and water and letting it freeze solid.  the idea being that the yote cant take a piece and run for cover to enjoy it's meal.

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 09:11:07 PM »
I get myself in trouble when I post I Heard Tell Once
UB POSTED ABOVE:
heard a story once that the coyotes wait there by the dead deer and gut piles and eat the fox and other critters that come to the frozen meat to eat..They don't waste their energy eating frozen food..

At least it get some post and discussion going... Person who told me this was once a PPHA member who use to visit here!!

Personally I think coyotes carry some Sterno with them and cook their frozen venison! ;D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:11:57 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 09:15:58 PM »
How about this?

Fur Fish & Game reader suggested to do this::  Dig a hole in the ice with an ice auger.  Place a skinned beaver carcass or other critter half way in the hole and half laying out of the hole... When it freezes you now have a bait station to watch for coyotes... Since it's legal to do that in Pa for coyotes it just might work in many of the small lakes and ponds in the Poconos for example.. However you have to watch you don't drown doing this kind stuff on unsafe hard water...