Author Topic: The 223 factory and the 223 reload  (Read 2862 times)

uncle buck

The 223 factory and the 223 reload
« on: April 01, 2011, 11:56:39 PM »
223 Factory Ammo is cheaper then others... However when you measure the factory rounds it seems like the OAL is shorter... I'm thinking that mfg do that because all of the 223 AR's ???So the ammo feeds through the semi guns better..  It's been just recently that I have been playing around with 223 reloads.. Could be that in a regular bolt action the Ogive of the bullet will not be close to the rifling and there might be too much jump on some factory ammo ..Reloading for the 223 bolt actions or single shots could make it more accurate because of placing the bullet close to the rifling and have less jump..Also...Maybe the factory varmint designated ammo would be better for a bolt action or single shot.  Like the Winchester Ballistic Silvertips and some of the Black Hill Ammo???

Reloading for the 223 could be one heck of a challenge?... Looking forward to getting out there and finding which 223 reload or factory  shoots the best.. Use  it for chucks, then use if for coyotes.. The plan will be to use the Savage 24V rifle shotgun combo 223/12 more in 2011 for coyotes...Might even see how the 12 gauge works on chucks to.. Many times your sitting there and one will walk out along the tree line your in and it will be a good shotgun opportunity.. Remember chuck hunting with a shotgun you have to use nothing larger then # 4 shot. So it probably best to use a good turkey load on a chuck.. They are strong critters...

Offline savage05

Re: The 223 factory and the 223 reload
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 07:28:48 AM »
If you have the right twist rate by all means try the Reman (blue box) Black Hills 60gr Vmax. Once I find a Gorilla to pull the tip I'm going to duplicate the load as closely as I can. It's the most accurate factory ammo I have ever used. 1 in 9 twist 22" Savage M10.

Offline jaybird

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 10:10:53 AM »
If you have the right twist rate by all means try the Reman (blue box) Black Hills 60gr Vmax. Once I find a Gorilla to pull the tip I'm going to duplicate the load as closely as I can. It's the most accurate factory ammo I have ever used. 1 in 9 twist 22" Savage M10.

+1 for the blue box 60gr vmaxes... i have witnessed savage05 stack these on top of each other at 100yds for 5 shot groups around 1/2 inch numerous times, and they smash the 7x7 steel at 300 just the same as my sierra 55 grainers..

you should put some pics up from that last outing Tim...

Offline savage05

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 02:04:42 AM »
My card reader is shot...gotta grab a new one first J.

Offline jaybird

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 09:21:06 AM »
My card reader is shot...gotta grab a new one first J.

should have said something yesterday... i have an extra