Author Topic: Coyote Hunting In Gobbler Season May 16- 31 May 2011  (Read 2970 times)

uncle buck

Coyote Hunting In Gobbler Season May 16- 31 May 2011
« on: March 22, 2011, 07:37:30 PM »
The  Spring gobbler season change allowing hunting for the entire day will allow many to bag some coyotes..Remember now you have to use Turkey loads and can't use # 4 buckshot... Might be  a good time to use Hevishot just in case a coyote comes to your turkey calling.. # 4 or # 5 Hevi shot hits hard... I even have it in  3 1/2 shells to in # 4 shot Hevishot... If I do get to do some turkey hunting this Spring.  I'm going to make sure that I have some # 4 shot that hits hard should I get a shot at a coyote..

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Coyote Hunting In Gobbler Season May 16- 31 May 2011
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 06:22:09 PM »
i'm ganna do some turkey hunting in west virginia this year on a friend of my's land and last year in the 2 times we were down there for deer hunting and turkey scouting we've seen coyotes so theres a real good chance well see one again this year. last year a week before turkey season we watched a coyote follow a herd of does but we were just scouting and didn't have guns. im sure he was waiting for the does to drop their fawns even though it was probably a little too early for the fawning season. were ganna do the youth hunt on saturday there and then regular season opens the monday after the youth season so i wanna try some coyote hunting after turkey those days if we don't get one while turkey hunting. ive heard of people who've had coyotes steal their decoys while they were calling so im deff ganna use some decoys. the coyotes down there don't get hunted too hard so its common to see them in the middle of the day.

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 10:02:36 PM »
Good Luck to you! Hope You Get One Of Those Coyotes That Like Butter Ball Turkeys!!!!!!!!I Do Hear A Lot Of Stories From Landowners Saying They See Coyotes Killing Turkeys On Their Property...

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 06:32:36 PM »
yah i hear coyotes are one of the top predators for adult turkeys other than us the hunters

Offline 22hornet

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 08:59:36 PM »
Does this mean NO RIFLES durning daylight hours? At dark the rifle and normal lights can come out____right? I want to get this correct.

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 01:58:51 AM »
During the legal shooting hours for Gobblers you have to use a shotgun and no shot larger then # 4 shot.. So you can't use a rifle and you can't use # 4 buckshot.. However once the legal shooting hours for turkey are over you can use a rifle.  Suggest that you use a good Hevishot # 4 shot if your want to anchor a coyote.

Offline 22hornet

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 09:31:26 AM »
Go odea UB. At least I can hunt Sunday mornings with the .223 or the hornet.

Offline SongDogSilencer

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 07:35:28 PM »
My Dad shot a 42 pound male saturday morning. He used a howler to locate birds, 45 minutes and 3 hen yelps later the dog showed up.

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 08:47:04 PM »
That is  awesome...Proves just what  coyote howler can do... It brings them in!  That one for his memory book for sure!!!!