Author Topic: Letting Her Rip.......When?  (Read 2891 times)

uncle buck

Letting Her Rip.......When?
« on: December 31, 2010, 06:59:26 PM »
When using the Gray Fox pup......Yep just let that sound rip for however long you stay on stand and your targeted animal is the Gray Fox.

Red Fox in the daytime when using red fox sounds...Yep let that one sound just rip...Don't like to jump around.  I like the JS Baby Red Fox the best... But if one uses the Gray and Red Combo or Any Red Fox Distress it should work... Player her for as long as your going to stay constant.

Bobcat...Randy Anderson shooting the bull with a few PPHA member prior to the Port Matilda expo in April 2006.  "Cats Are Dumb!" "You have to keep that sound constant for long periods of time." Hence while we are not pro bobcat callers here in Pa... You got to pick a good bird sound or cottontail sound and let it rip...

During the mating season...I have had great success calling reds by using the JS Red and Gray Fight aka now The Red and Gray Combo. by just letting it rip for long periods of time with no other sounds... Reds will be the ones that show not grays but they will come right to the speaker.

I was thinking back to years gone by...When I use to use the JS Model 512 with a cassette...Once you inserted the particular sound into the player and walk down wind and 75 to 100 yards of the speaker... That was normally the sound for the entire 30 minute duration of the stand.. Wow did I call in a lot of red fox like that..From 1 minute to 30 minutes they would show.. Now we all have itchy remote fingers and we all...Jump all over the remote adding new sounds to the night time darkness what ever the time on our calling sequence..    
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 07:03:07 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

Re: Letting Her Rip.......When?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 01:14:31 AM »
I put this on here before but I thought it would be good to post it again...Seems like when I do call to loud with most food sounds on the new remote callers you don't call in Jack...Best to do what Gerald Stewart suggested on his site...That people play the electronics too loud and they will not work...I like others like to hear the sounds when I am down wind of the speaker.. We think that we want to make sure the predators hear it...So what do we do? We play it to loud... I called in two red fox once back to back with the bulb squeaker squeaking in my bib pocket..
Can you imagine that the two different red fox came in from well over 500 yards and they came to squeaks in a person pocket???????
That's why I like woodpecker distress...When birds hurt they cry out loud..So this is one of the sounds that you can somewhat let rip loud..Now the others...the fieldmice, quail distress, voles, guinea Pigs, cardinal, they just don't make loud distress sounds.. Try to keep them like what real animals and birds would sound like when in distress..   However once the wind picks up...Kind of stay away from the softer food sounds and go to the jackrabbit or increase the sound a bit on your cottontails...

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
  • I am NOT the Whitefeather on HuntingPA.com!!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 09:49:48 AM »
I never did the jackrabbit UB because we dont have em here.  Have you ever called in a predator in Pa with it?  I like the sound, seems more distressed than the cottontail.  (on Power Dogg anyway).  Do any of you use the Backstabber?  I want to get one of those, it sounds alot more distressed than the Orange Randy A. Ki Yi
Chris Deckard  District 2

Offline Bees OBrien

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 10:32:53 AM »
the lightning jack fox pro sound has brought in some fox for me so far since i got a spitfire. UB also ive had success mixing the GFP with foxpro's screamin' gray

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 08:09:52 PM »
I have called in red fox and coyotes with the jackrabbit sounds in Pa...Also killed a 17 pound red fox using the Foxpro jackrabbit distress sound..
The jackrabbit sound works great in higher winds.  Also even in South Central Pa...I have called in fox using the snowshoe rabbit distress.

Bees heard a lot of good things about Foxpro Screamin Gray!!!!!If I was going to get a new Foxpro product I would make sure that sound was on it....

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
  • I am NOT the Whitefeather on HuntingPA.com!!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 08:46:36 PM »
I was just outside and heard a 'three bark' from a fox of in the distance.  Did it twice with in 20 seconds.  Any thoughts on what this vocalization means? bark bark bark. 
I read somewhere that in the winter fox use vocalization rather than scents to communicate with each other.  I hear fox every night, and have been seeing them active in the day.  Normally mid morning and early afternoon.  I know they are out at night to, because I see fresh tracks almost every morning.  The vocalization is down during the day.  But at night when it is quiet I always hear them.
Chris Deckard  District 2

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 09:51:49 PM »
Starting to group now...AKA pair up for the mating season.. They get quite vocal now in the winter. Since I am not lucky and live near farms or woodlots I never experienced just plain barking into the night..

I have heard them do this on two type of occasions while calling and hunting:

1. when actual calling a bark means you have been had and they tell every fox in the area beware there is something out there that can hurt them, the fox..

2.  A lot of barking is an indicator that coyotes are in the area...