Author Topic: How To  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Boro Pup

How To
« on: November 16, 2010, 09:14:12 PM »
Ok Fellows I have a few ?

What types of call do you recommend?
How long of do you call for fox or coyote?
Do you guys use cover scents?
When you are hunting at night what type of lights do recommend, and do you keep it on the whole time or do you sit in the dark and wait till you hear a noise to spot them?

Sorry but this is the first year I have gotten a fur license and have never hunted for them before now,and I am not having any luck.So maybe your guys could help educate me so hopfully I can get some fur on the ground.

Thanks for your time
Mike

Offline Bees OBrien

• Seasoned Forum Member
Re: How To
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 09:33:51 PM »
welcome to the board boro pup! i'll answer your questions as to how i do things but my way and others will vary this is one sport where 100 different answers to one question will or could work each has their own technique

calls to recommend countless calls from custom, production and electronic that all do the job just gotta find what works best for you...start with a simple closed reed distress of some type very affordable and doesnt take much practice to get the hang of it and it will work for all critters

if its gray fox and your using the right sound or call it could take merely seconds for them to appear, reds take a bit longer, bobcats and coyotes even longer.....your calling stand depends greatly on the way you enter a stand and where and how you set up

I use the Kill Light XR250 and i run it the whole time im sure others will have more info for you........you came to the right page for plenty of info thats for sure good luck!

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 11:48:36 PM »
Welcome...Boropup
Nothing like a Nitelite for predator calling... Go here to look at the light packages www.huntsmart.com
There are all kinds of lights to use out there.. Stay away from those cheap head lights you buy at the cash register in Homedepot or Lowes for $9.99.   You will need a red lens pop cover on your head light... Check out the $84.00 head light packages At Nitelite. They are not half bad for predator hunting and they will work outstanding for you...

Fox I stay 30 minutes,, Coyotes I stay from 45 to 1 hour..

Mouth call...The Primos KIYI is a good one for a beginner also the Primos Lil Dogs..open reed that will work in winter and can do all kind of canine and distress sounds with a little practice..

You keep your light one when your depart your vehicle until you get back to your vehicle.. Suggest reading the Dennis Kirk book: All You Wanted To Know About Fox Calling. I'm sure Nitelite sells it for about $9.00-$12.00.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 11:49:21 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 11:59:18 AM »
Mouth call...The Primos KIYI is a good one for a beginner also the Primos Lil Dogs..open reed that will work in winter and can do all kind of canine and distress sounds with a little practice..

Could not believe it after it worked for me one cold night, last night it .....The Primos KIYI froze up on me. !!!!!!!!! Even when I took the mouth piece off and tried it still was froze up..

Looks like your best bet is to use the Primos LIL DOGS if your a new caller... They are open reed calls but are a lot easier to use then other mouth calls.  Another good and easy to use open reed call is the Crit-R-Call PEEWEE.  Looks like any closed reed call just collects saliva and if not removed after calling cause them to freeze up..  I just wanted to correct myself on what I said previously about the KIYI Primos call being a good call for freezing temps..

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 05:33:17 PM »
Boro Pup,

Welcome to the board. On the light issue I use the kill light 100 to scan with and leave it on the whole time. I also use the kill light 250 for shooting and it only comes on for the kill shot. Check out this thread I reviewed the 100 for scanning and also a head band for using it on top or your head.   http://www.ppha.us/smf/index.php?topic=5472.0

As far as calls go if you want to go the electronic route I recommend any of the foxpro's. There are other and I've tried a few but the foxpros are the cream of the crop IMHO and their customer service is second to none.

If you look through some of the threads you'll find some that go into detail of how some of the guys work their sets for both fox and yotes. There are ones that guys talk about what sounds and how long they run them. You'll find that there are different ideas about how to go about it. The trick is finding out what one works for you and the only way to do that is to get out and hunt. You will also see threads about how to manipulate your scent pattern. Cover scents are good but you need to learn how to play the scent game.

Good Luck and don't be afraid to ask questions. I'm still learning and this is the place to as Uncle Buck says        " shorten the learning curve"
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association