Author Topic: What hand calls have you narrowed it down to?  (Read 4280 times)

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
What hand calls have you narrowed it down to?
« on: October 31, 2010, 03:10:38 PM »
My choice for eastern predators is the Tweety calls. I like the red black and yellow open reed calls. For Western hunts  I like the Sceery green open reed call hands down. I have hunted twice in Pa this year and had 5 sets of eyes with only 9 stands. I find hand calls do well pulling in predators. I like to use the Foxpro electronic caller for bird sounds ,small mammal notes and fox distress only.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 03:26:01 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline Bees OBrien

• Seasoned Forum Member
Re: What hand calls have you narrowed it down to?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 03:16:14 PM »
For hand calls I like a lot of the stuff I make and i find myself always using the kcc backstabber and have also used the griz n gray and have called in a gray that was missed not by me though! lol for a howler i use my own i think they have the best sound out of any howler. electronic i'd have to say the gray fox pup in distress 3 stands with the sound and every time I had a gray or two come in within 20 seconds

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 03:18:04 PM »
Never had luck with a howler here or out west. The Tweety call is a softer call than the Sceery calls. Open reed calls take a little more time to master but I feel more effective.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 03:22:01 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline Bees OBrien

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 04:19:28 PM »
once you learn when to use howls, where to use howls and how to use howls the howler can be a lethal call to use i have the syco tweety and its a good call

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 04:26:43 PM »
Bees, you're right about that. I think that may be one of the problems I have. I know the difference between a few howls but when to use them, I'm still not sure about.
President PPHA

Offline stickbow

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 07:04:01 PM »
Tally Ho

This is the most requested predator call ever. Designed and made by world champion predator caller Tal Lockwood. With a little practice, this may be the only predator call you'll ever need. Open reed design which produces a wide variation of squeals and squalls. Deadly on coyotes, foxes, mountain lions and bobcats.

From a mouse to a coyote howl it does it all.

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 05:53:28 PM »
Yes the Tallyho is a great call to use... I always have one in my pocket or around my neck when calling.  I  do like the Crit-R-Calls all of the open reed.  My favorite is the Song Dog Jr. as is from the company... I am using a custom open reed call now too.. R & R call.  I have already called in fox with it this year..

Coyote vocalization.....Yep I use it and it's not as hard as you think...5 sounds you need to use is Interrogation or lone howl..... Puppy Whine,  Adult KIYI, Puppy KIYI, and the Coyote Challenge. Any of the Crit-R-Call open reeds will do all of the above.

Electronics vs mouth/hand calls.. It all depends on what you want to do. So many pro and cons for both.  However I do have to admit.. Mouth/hand calls seem to get their interest a  bit better then electronics.. If I was taking a new hunter out and wanted that person to see eyes and get shots I use the mouth and hand calls..   

Offline yote204

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 09:33:08 AM »
we use the primos randy anderson calls, the hot dog and lil dog are great for howls, the cat nip is a great for rabit distress, the ky yi is great too, they work pretty good for us, i called a yote in with physco tweety by verminators last week we missed him  >:(  we also use the primos power dogg electric call also

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 10:09:54 AM »
for howls I have a modified elk power howler I haven't heard a better howler yet.  for my hand calls I have several from different manufactures.  right now I have on my lanyard a critr call standard, a open reed made by brad gainey, and a lil pekker from KCC.  I want to use KCC's griz and grey a bit more yet this year but haven't been out much.  it looks like my package from predator lights shipped yesterday so I should be good to go for a weekend of screaming.   8)
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 07:52:19 AM »
I have the best luck with bite style calls. Johnny Stewart PC3 is my favorite because it's not very loud which is perfect for us shotgun hunters.
FayetteNam

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 08:38:34 AM »
my favorite is an old quarker boy cotton tail screamer, i think it is a quakerboy..   forrest uses the JS PC3 and it sounds very similar.  they are my two favorite for distress.  for coyote sounds I like the Primos one by Randy Anderson.