Author Topic: Can't seal the deal so far this year.  (Read 2431 times)

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Can't seal the deal so far this year.
« on: October 29, 2010, 06:45:45 AM »
I have only been out twice this year, we have called in 9 fox on 6 stands and haven't gotten any.  only had 1 come into shotgun range but i was holding the .17 fireball and it was a grey that wouldn't stop running in a field.   Hate batting .000, very frustrating. 

uncle buck

Re: Can't seal the deal so far this year.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 09:30:50 AM »
Once the full moon is done you will do better... I know this is debateable some claim there is no problem.. IMO it's tough...I called in three fox this week and right when I was going to shoot them they disappeared into the night..I was in range too.. They just saw me before I saw them.. Funny one was not more then 20 yards from me.. There he was and there he wasn't. I was using the yellow lens light...I feel lucky that I even got to call in three reds during the conditions. I have not gone out since Sunday night. Just waiting for the moon to change..

Also mouth calling might fool them a bit more during this period then electronic calling... Just hope during the next full moon period there is snow on the ground. That kind of helps...The first full moon of the predator season is tough...It's actually the Harvest Moon which is brighter then other times of the year too...That what the research says of why they call it the Harvest Moon...Farmers like this moon to work with their farm equipment  since it's brighter.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 09:36:26 AM by uncle buck »

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 01:58:49 PM »
I know what your feeling Scott. I haven't called in that many this year but my sightings and outings are so few and far between that I feel like it's over every time I educate one by a missed shot. I have all the faith in the world that you will be postings tons of predator pics this season. ;)
FayetteNam

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 05:16:42 PM »
I've been out twice and have seen 0 and missed 0 so am I at 1.000?
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 06:16:14 PM »
Called in three fox so far on 1st trip out. Muttbuster missed AGAIN. Was a tough shot though. Had to shoot around fence post, skip shot off a pond , shoot over a gravel pile, shoot around a big oak tree and hit fox in the ditch. Fox was laughing.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 06:28:36 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 08:25:13 PM »
I was just playing with him. He will know when I'm serious. :P
President PPHA

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.redeyesops.com
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 11:31:52 PM »
I can't believe that muttbuster missed.  He a dead eye from what I have seen. 

TFC2223 (Kirk McKendree)
Kettle Creek Calls Pro Staff
HEVI-SHOT Field Staff
Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 09:58:20 AM »
Thanks Kirk, this was a last second shot that I probably shouldn't have taken. I had the "happy trigger finger syndrome", I wanted to see if "lady luck" was on my side. I think I found my answer.
President PPHA

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 09:54:04 AM »
  I've called this fox (I assume) two more times without a shot. Second time in the evening (daylight) with a red fox pup. It started barking and ran right in but stopped just over the lip on the hill. It was to thick or I just would have stood up and took the shot because it was so close. Again, last night. I hit the creek bottom and hit the Nutty Nuthatch on #10 volume and within seconds heard it bark and I stopped the caller so I could hear its approach through the woods. I seen it and thought it would continue to come my way because I wanted it to look for me but it walked above me into think stuff and I never seen its eyes again. My halo shield it's blocking out the barrel of my 22mag. Should I make it longer? It's a 6volt lantern that someone made for me, so finding a after market shield would be a pain.
FayetteNam