Author Topic: Gun mounted light  (Read 5681 times)

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Gun mounted light
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 04:13:59 AM »
Ernie, I love to read your stuff.
You and I have talked about 'light problems' we experienced over the years.
And I know you are the real deal and know what you are talking about when it comes to hunting with a light.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 06:29:58 AM »
if you mount a light to your barrel it is most likely going to change the poi of your bullet, so make sure you sight in with your light on your gun.  couple of inches could make a big difference. 

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 08:38:17 AM »
Mounting a gun light on barrel of rifle will effect your bullet point of impact. I know I have tested it. When your shooting at eyes it often makes a difference between hit and a mis. That's why they have free floating barrels on rifles so nothing touches the barrel.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 08:40:22 AM by foxpro51 »

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
Scott/ Foxpro 51
Yes,you should shoot your gun for hunting set up just like you plan to hunt with it. However your statement that a couple of inches could make a big difference is a little far fetched and miss leading for adding a light to your rifle barrel. I say this so not to confuse a new person using a light is not scared off form using a barrel mounted light from your statement.

Everything you add to a gun can make a difference.
But for reference on point of in pact with a light on the barrels, at a 100 yards. The most I have ever moved my groups point of in pact was a 1/2 inch. Most of the time I see so little change I sometimes think it is just me shooting a little different and never change my settings. I have tried switching lights from the small 350 yard er to the large 170 night force and have see no change on point of in pack. On big guns with big recoil there could be more point of in pack movement but I never had a reason to try a light on a big gun to see if these was a change.
Ernie
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 08:58:56 AM by Buckwheat »

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 10:20:37 AM »
i disagree, sight in your gun and then put a mount on the barrel your point of impact can change and i have seen it move up to two inches at 100 yards.  i have also seen depending on where you add something to the barrell make the gun not group, depending on barrel type.  couple of inches makes a big difference when shooting at eyes at long distances. 

i am not saying not to add a mount to a barrel but I would never just buy one and put it on a gun and hunt with it before i took it to the range. 

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 12:07:53 PM »
Scott
The information I posted was with guns that were sighted in, then the light added to the barrel. So I do not understand what you are referencing to my statement?   Like I said, I have never seen a point of in pack change more then I stated in my post. I guess there will always be some ones gun that will not group good or change point of in pack.  But until I see it happen,these are my findings.
Ernie

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Chasintail

• http://skullcleaning.embarqspace.com
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 02:37:29 PM »
my CZ .22 hornet did not change POI with a barrel clamp and light at 100yds. Shot before and after.
Franks Skull Cleaning
Kettle Creek Calls Prostaff Member

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.redeyesops.com
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 11:24:24 PM »

Guns are all different.  Some of my rifles tolerate items such as lights, cameras and so on affixed to the stock and or barrel and some do not.  I run a full contact bed job on my rifle and it seems to be very forgiving.  Even when they made mounting lights to your rifle/scope I never jumped on board.  To me its a backlight issue.  Here is the system that I have shot for years with great success.  As Ernie states having the light under your shotgun or rifle is advantageous and has been a great way to help conceal more of you from incoming predators at the hours of darkness.  This week I fabricated a mount for the Kill Light off of my same system and it works just fine.  Have a safe season and stay behind that light!

TFC2223 (Kirk McKendree)
Kettle Creek Calls Prostaf
HEVI-SHOT Field Staff
Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS

Offline melsdad

• Junior Forum Member
    • Traditional Muzzleloading Association
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 09:55:55 PM »

Guns are all different.  Some of my rifles tolerate items such as lights, cameras and so on affixed to the stock and or barrel and some do not.  I run a full contact bed job on my rifle and it seems to be very forgiving.  Even when they made mounting lights to your rifle/scope I never jumped on board.  To me its a backlight issue.  Here is the system that I have shot for years with great success.  As Ernie states having the light under your shotgun or rifle is advantageous and has been a great way to help conceal more of you from incoming predators at the hours of darkness.  This week I fabricated a mount for the Kill Light off of my same system and it works just fine.  Have a safe season and stay behind that light!

TFC2223 (Kirk McKendree)
Kettle Creek Calls Prostaf

Is that a store bought monopod, or did you make that yourself?

Ilke the looks of that!
HEVI-SHOT Field Staff
>>>------Brian------>

''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''

- John Wayne

District 6

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.redeyesops.com
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 10:45:47 PM »

Melsdad, I started with my own fabricated style over ten years ago but the one you see in the picture is both.  I altered an existing monopod that I thought was well designed and fit my shooting needs.  Here is another shooting stick that I used on this past Saturday.  I had a great night on seven fox and here is a double that I rifled with the Kill Light.  I don't have my halo shield on it yet and I apologize for the photo for being so light.  The flash screwed it up.  Anyways here is another picture and a couple of fox that came into the griz n grey.  Both were close shots.  The male was 33 paces and the female was a frontal shot at 21 paces.  Take care.

TFC2223 (Kirk McKendree)
Kettle Creek Calls Prostaff
HEVI-SHOT Field Staff
Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 12:32:22 PM »
This is what I plan on using most of the year.  so far I have only used it one night for predators and I am still trying to figure out a good system on how to put it in the truck, carry it, and then use it in the field with the type of hunting I do.  some of my spots I call 3 or 4 spots over a miles worth of walking.  but being able to shoot off of a steady rest makes it worth carrying it(look at jeffs latest post it makes those 100-175 yd shots easier).  I think I have a way figured out while hunting by myself.  while hunting with others can be problematic for me.  the reason it can be problematic is I hunt out a small vehicle.  it has two seats and storage in the back but I like to keep the legs extended to minimize noise at the stand location.  mostly from having to open the rear hatch.  when I hunt by myself I can stick it in the passenger seat by itself and not have to collapse the legs.  

you can see my scope mounted light on the bottom and then the two rubber bands are holding the scope mounted light switch in a convenient place for me to hit it with my thumb.  gonna try to get out a good bit in the next few weeks and put it through its paces.  

and how I have been using this setup is I get to my stand location.  The legs are already extended.  spread the legs and get the gun pointed in the direction I believe the animal is going to come from.  Then I use a hat mounted light which in my case is also a predator light.  once I id the predator I turn the scope mounted light on and get them in the scope light.  once they are I used to not worry about my headlamp.  when I made the post about boondocks silent halo shield it was because I left my headlamp on and it caused what TFC pointed out about a backlight issue.  It put alot of glare on the rifle along with also highlighting the entire rig I was hunting off of.  now I plan on reaching up and turning off the head mounted light or turning it up in the air to alleviate the problem.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 12:38:08 PM by bigben »
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline war_nrg

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 03:14:45 PM »
Greetings,
I go with the lite and easy to transport.  The scanning light on the shooting stick swivels.
Cheers,
Bill
Cheers,
Bill

Offline stickbow

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 04:08:13 AM »
You may want to move your barrel light back the blast will probably break it there.

Offline war_nrg

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 12:18:38 PM »
Have shot at least 2 dozen rounds with no affect on the light :)
Cheers,
Bill