Author Topic: ki Yi  (Read 4044 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
ki Yi
« on: September 19, 2010, 09:41:28 AM »
If you call in a coyote and successfully harvest it,should you immediately follow up with the Ki Yi to call in the mate?If so how long in duration should the call be made?Should it be a 30 second call or continuous call until you get a response? 

uncle buck

Re: ki Yi
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 11:46:09 AM »
When I am gong through my call sequence I do the KIYI and the Coyote Pup for at least a minute.. Now if you get a shot at one that's up to you..Surely I would do it for at least a minimum of 30 seconds but me personally I would also do it for 1 minute..All other coyote vocalization Howls....I only do it twice or at most maybe four times. Which equates to about 15 seconds of coyote vocalization.  Read so many things about coyotes that you never do things in three's.  I  don't know if this is true but I still will not do three howls etc etc.  Barking...I stay away from that totally...When I am making the calls with a open reed call I only bark when I do the Coyote Challenge.  Electronics.. I have no control over what sounds the call maker used in what they call the Female Invitation or Coyote Serenade.. However.....They do seem to work and I have called in coyotes using the Foxpro coyote vocalizations on my FX5 and Primos Power Dogg coyote Vocalizations too..

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 02:42:09 PM »
What mouth call does everyone think makes the best Ki Yi.I can make a good quess what UB likes.It starts with a C.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 03:10:32 PM »
I like the critter Kazoo for kiyi's by critterbuster game calls a close second would be Randy Andersons KiYi by Primos.

I wouldn't be afraid to go into a different aggressive distress after a shot.
I had my shotgun go off in my lap on a daytime stand and kept calling (rabbit in distress)and my partner shot a 23lb female,  10 yards from me, not 30 seconds after the shot
I've learned to ALWAYS keep the muzzle in a safe direction

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 08:52:15 PM »
What mouth call does everyone think makes the best Ki Yi.I can make a good quess what UB likes.It starts with a C.

Foxtrot you must have ESP to say the call I use starts with a C?

However many of the calls can do the KIYI well.. The Primos Lil Dogs are easy to use and make excellent canine vocalization..
The Primos.....KIYI....does an excellent job too.. But your right .....I always have the letter C calls with me at all times..

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 11:16:28 AM »
Almost any open reed call makes this sound.  To me I will use the one that I feel I can blow consistantly well.  The Critter Kazoo gets the nod as one of my favorites.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 06:49:48 PM »
Isn't the kazoo made by D3calls and not critterbusters?

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 07:51:30 PM »
No, Dave actually came out with the call first.  I liked the guts of the call so much I asked dave if he mind that I sold the call also.  Ernie actually sold the call for a while too.  Curt use to use the guts also, still might.  We buy the call from the molder.  I started turning custom barrels for the guts and still do today.  The same guts are used in many different predator calls but Dave came up with the name.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:55:31 PM by Lookn4Fur »
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
That's interesting,thanks for clearing that up.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 05:58:54 AM »
ft asks-
should you immediately follow up with the Ki Yi to call in the mate?
We are talking about Coyote...
I think that depends on what you feel comfortable using. I usually just keep using the same calls and same cadence after a kill (any predator). Am usually using 2 or 3 mouth calls at a setup. By that, actually using/blowing 2 or 3 different calls. Have so so results with calling after a kill or miss. I did kill a double the other weekend and had two other setups with another Coyote about, but didn't get 2nd shot. But...
There are some factors to consider when killing or calling multiples.
Animal density is first on the list. The more critters in an area the more the competition and the easier they are to call to gun or to trap multiples. Many times litter mates run to the call 'shouldering or racing' it's litter mate. Much like a young brace of Beagles 'shouldering or racing' on the scent of a Cottontail.
There is no better time of year to kill multiples than right now. Sure gives a guy some confidence and gives him a false sense that he knows something...LOL.
Other factors to consider on animal density...rifle Deer season...I have experienced Coyote (Fox too, to a degree) shift their range and consentrated on dense cover or areas that aren't Deer hunted. Breeding season...Multiples are running together or trailing one another.
The kills count. The call in's don't. Learn from both. Think what happened, how it happened and why in happened.
ft, I do use the Ki-Yi. Crit-R-Call. Got my first Crit-R-call from Willis Kent, goverment trapper out west. I can make alot of sounds on my Crit-R-Call and it's always with me.

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 11:36:32 AM »
I even like to use the KIYI to call in fox...It calls all predators.. just use the smallest Peewee Crit-R-Call or a Carlton Pee-Wee call when you make the high pitched KIYI sounds...Often wondered if both Critter and Carlton both came up with the Crit-R-Call?????They are the exact duplicate....Wonder if Major and owner of Carlton were friends at one time and developed it together????Why now you even see Hunter Specialties Johnny Stewart name all over the Carlton Song Dog...????????