Author Topic: Walking in to far it already over..  (Read 2999 times)

uncle buck

Walking in to far it already over..
« on: August 30, 2010, 01:39:15 AM »
Logic...............................

Take two or three predator hunters if they walk in 150 to 200 yards to make their first calling stand...odds are they scared targeted animals that were not only 150 to 200 yards between Point A to Point B but also animals that were beyond the 200 yard mark.
Ask yourself or remember?  Your calling,  The Call Is A tool to make predators come to you....
Last year I called in 14 coyotes and about 85 fox...If you walk in real deep to make your first calling set up and called in more critters then I mentioned then by all means keep doing what your doing...However if your wondering why you never call in many predators and you are walking in long distances (for your first stand)  at night time then this might be one of your problems...What compounds it is the more people walking in too..
Truly know the land your hunting on first of all....Just get where is legal.  If you don't know the land your hunting on.  By all means don't walk in far...
Now after you did your first stand if you want to walk in a bit deeper for your 2nd set up that's OK..
Also during your hunt..Two stands or maybe 3 at the most on each farm..that depends on how windy it is...If you stay there all night your probably not going to call in more predators...
By the way  no I did not kill 14 coyotes and 85 fox last year...Thats why they call it night time predator hunting...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 01:40:51 AM by uncle buck »

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Walking in to far it already over..
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 03:13:59 PM »
I think were all guilty of spooking predators before setting up.Try to be as stealthful as possible from the time you park the vehicle and quietly close the door and load your gun with as little noise as possible.No talking outside the vehicle if possible and keep a low profile when approaching the location.Keep your light on and scanning at all times.Many times one will see eyes before you get to where your going.Pay attention to the wind direction at all times.Set up close to the vehicle is a good idea as long as the vehicle isn't visible to the approaching animal.Even with all this we still get busted more times than were aware of.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 12:52:33 PM »
I like to chose a setup that works for the oncoming predator that Iam targeting. I like to use wind, water courses, swales, weed or wood lines, crop changes and other terrain factors to funnel called critters to the end of the gun barrel.
Jumping out of the pickup and starting to call doesn't seem logical to my methods.
I do like to scout my setup out before I hunt. By that, I already been there to look things over, I know where to stand and call and have an idea which way the predator  will come. I usually have a 30-35yard mark so I know 'the kill zone', because things look different in darkness with a red lens.

I would think if you don't get a response at your 1st setup and moving forward to do another setup, you are asking for trouble by spooking predators that hungup or didn't hear from 1st setup. It does seem logical.
I like to chose a setup that works for the oncoming predator that Iam targeting. I like to use wind, water courses, swales, weed or wood lines, crop changes and other terrain factors to funnel called critters to the end of the gun barrel. Time spent scouting and preparing is money in the bank.
Jumping out of the pickup and starting to call doesn't seem logical to my methods.

I have spots that I have to walk 200-500 yards to set up. Uncle Buck, understand there are plenty of prime places to 'slip into' without being detected. (take an airplane ride, in March, over your territory to see those out of the way locations)
When one covers alot of ground and many setups during a planned hunt, then one wants to hit as many of the 'short walk' set ups as possible to gain maximum time and maximum success.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
Uncle Buck states-
If you walk in real deep to make your first calling set up and called in more critters then I mentioned then by all means keep doing what your doing
*So we should use your 'numbers' as a success gauge on short walk setups?
*Was your numbers for a 2 week period or a whole season? (you didn't say)
*And how many kills resulted in your 'call in' numbers?
*How many hunts were you on for thosethere numbers?

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 01:41:20 PM »
Uncle Buck states-
If you walk in real deep to make your first calling set up and called in more critters then I mentioned then by all means keep doing what your doing

Sounds like you...you in particular know what your doing so that's what I am saying then by all means you keep doing what your doing. It works for you...However IMO this is what works for me. 

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 01:06:50 PM »
UB Did you have a visual contact on 14 coyotes?

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 01:26:20 PM »
UB Did you have a visual contact on 14 coyotes?

13 of the 14 called in I did...The lone one I did not see I was calling and my nephew was the one down range of my calling that got to see it come in to my calling and he was in the right spot and intercepted it like it is suppose to work..