Author Topic: The Full Moon Revisited  (Read 2852 times)

uncle buck

The Full Moon Revisited
« on: November 03, 2009, 07:49:41 PM »
Some say.....That hunting during the full moon has no impact on their call ins.  Others, like me who have hunted predators for 24 years now believe that hunting during the full moon with no snow cover is one of the toughest times to call in predators. 

Notice that everyone that hunted in this past week-ends district 6 predator hunt proved negative.....

Yesterday... instead of sitting home at night and watching the tube (7:30 PM) ...I went out and hunted predators...I called in a red but it did not stay around long enough for me to place the Muller illuminated light on it and harvest it... With no other takers I decided that I would quit early....11:00 PM.  Normally I hunt to about 2:00 AM...

Offline icecube

• Senior Forum Member
Re: The Full Moon Revisited
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 08:09:23 AM »
Uncle Buck, I just meet a coon hunter last week and he told me he will never hunt coon's on a full moon because when they get treeded they just look at the moon and he can't see there eyes with his light to shoot.....ED

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 10:04:54 PM »
UB...in your experience...how do these three rate in terms of bad for hunting predators:

wind, rain, full moon

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 06:00:40 AM »
I just stick to the shadows.  my time is limited as to how many times I can hunt preds a year.  so if I can hunt I hunt.  doesn't matter if it is full moon or not.  even wind or light rain.  sometimes the less then ideal conditions can also be your best nights. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 11:18:06 AM »
Hunting the full moon is Tough but not impossible.If its full moon with a breeze blowing like it has been the last few nights its very hard to get the predators close enough for a shot or maybe even get a visual.
 A good example of this happened the other night. I was hunting a clearcut  on full moon with a slight breeze blowing from different directions.A big tree and brush pile gave me good cover.There was a thicket about 20 yards away, after calling off and on for about 10 minutes I thought I detected steps approaching in the thicket.I wasn,t sure of what I heard so I called softly for a while longer.Nothing showed itself.As I stood up to leave I heard it again and as whatever it was exited birds started  flying out of the thicket very alarmed.You could follow where the animal was by where the birds were leaving.
I have know idea what it was but am sure that it set just inside the thicket watching me until I stood up.I don't think it winded me or it would have left sooner but it was not coming out of the cover into the bright moon light to show itself.With the full moon and breeze I didn't expect a lot of success but I had the time and the urge to go and still enjoyed the experience.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 04:39:16 AM »
Im a canine trapper. Often the most productive time has been during full moon.
Sets made where moon looks down all night.
How does this relate to my predator calling?

I know they are on their feet during full moon.
I use swales, ravines, low areas to walk in for set up or set up very close to road. Keep yourself in shadow or shadows like hunting during daylight hours. Use daylight hunting tactics. Folks have misconceptions about full moon hunting because they haven't expericened call'n predators during daylight. By that, learning to be a bit more concealed, minimizing movement on stand and getting to setup unseen.

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 05:30:24 PM »
Heavy rains just stay home..

I use to hate winds...Now I like them to an extent since your scent is not there when it reaches a predators..  However to compensate one has to start to use the food sounds that travel better in the wind....Snowshoe rabbit,  woodpecker,  jackrabbits.  Don't even touch the field mouse and or the quail distress when the winds are whipping up to 15 MPH...... Now if the winds blow far greater then that it might be better just to wait for the wind to deminish a bit...Gusting winds......predators bed down.....

I Hate Hunting The Full Moon And I Even Understand What Has to Be Done Even See Eyes...
bad time for a new hunter...They think they are no good...However....Somedays the predators are not going to be moving...Other days they will come to every one of your calls.. Someday your going to think what a nice night for calling and you think your going to call in predator...You end up getting nothing...Other nights it may be windy, misty, and they will be moving...Figure?  Hard to figure just when a good night or a bad night may prevail....Don't give up when the predator are not coming to your calls... It could just be one of them there nights!!!!!! 

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 05:57:21 PM »
Hunted Friday Evening...While the full moon did not prevail in SCPA.  The moon was still bright and I ended up getting busted by two red fox and a coyote......So.......Just because the end of the full moon period happens....Still might not be quite ready to go back to the wearing of regualar Advantage type camo  until a few days after the full moon period....Hence stick with the Gray Camo and stay in the shadows more then the 7 day period.......Maybe 8 days anyway..........Just IMO.....

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 11:17:10 AM »
yep I do agree with the heavy rain.  I have hunted in drizzle a good bit and sometimes if your gear and your body can hold up to it.  it can be some of the best hunting.  but that heavy rain just doesn't cut it.  a few times now I have headed out to hunt during the day and got to the stand under grey sky's.  about that time the heavens open up and all you can say is this sucks.   :(  the northcentral hunt comes to mind in that aspect.  I think every year I have ever went to it it has been rainy nasty out.  I am surprised to see that it is supposed to be nice out this weekend. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 10:44:55 PM »
Bigben....I saw your other post about how bright the moon was even if it was no longer a full moon.  Thing kind of looked like a football but extreme bright on Friday night... As soon as I heard two fox barking I new the full moon period was not yet over.