Author Topic: First Coyote  (Read 3370 times)

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
First Coyote
« on: May 17, 2008, 10:37:49 PM »
Well I'm no longer a virgin to predator hunting.  I got my first dog this evening.  I shot a 30-35lb female missing half of her front left paw.  I used a combination of 2 electronic calls, Johnny Stewart digital Prey Master and a Cass Creeek call.  In addition, I also used a home made entiser decoy.  That alone is worth its weight in gold.  Once I figure out how to post pics on here I'll post some pics.

*here ya go Swarter, i tried to make them bigger but the format i got them in wouldnt allow it. ~Woody*

David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
First Coyote
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 10:47:57 PM »
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
way to go buddy!!
if you need me to post the pics you sent in the email lemme know...i'd be glad to.
congrats again....what type of gun...what sounds....we need more details!

~Woody
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
First Coyote
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 07:34:57 AM »
I'll e-mail you some smaller pics to post.  As to the gun it was a T/C Encore 12ga mounted with a red dot scope.  The load was a Rem. Dead Coyote Tshot.  The sounds used were coyote pup on the cass creek call and coyote howl and rodent distress on the Prey Master.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
District 2

BP

First Coyote
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 08:38:53 AM »
Congratulations S2!  How about the sequence and timing of the sounds you used?  What time in the evening?

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
First Coyote
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 07:14:57 PM »
BP - I was set up by 7pm on the edge of a field over loking a corn field.  The wind was to my back.  I had set up the speaker to my Johnny Walker digital game call about 15yds in front of me or as far as the wire would reach.  Next to the speaker was my home made enticer decoy.  At my sitting location, I had 2 Cass Creek calls, Predator and Predator II.  Once situated, I did a sequence of 3 pup yips on the Cass Creek.  I waited for about 5mins then did it again.  After that sequence, I hit the distressed rodent 2-3 times on the Prey Master.  Again watied a few minutes.  While I was waiting I switched the card on the PM to the one with Coyote Howl.
I hit the Cass Creek for another sequence of 2-3 calls.  In the Middle of that I let the howls twice.  The whole time this was going on I thought I heard some soft growls behind me.  After sitting for about 30-35mins.  I was ready to move or leave because the sky was getting black from the storm clouds.  Before I knew she came out of an openning to my left going down the break between the fields.  She was limping and I knew she was one the ones my wifes Uncle saw.  She was eyeing my decoy.  At about 20-25yds I let my best friend, T/C Encore, bark.  I jumped up and ran over to her, she tried to get up.  So I pulled the hammer back and pulled the trigger, click.  Oh *darn it*, I forgot to reload.  I ran back to my pack reloaded and gave the fatal shot.  I don't know if it was my calling, my decoy or being in the right place at the right time.  But, it dosn't matter.  I got my first coyote.  I plan on hunting the property or the neighboring farm again in a few weeks.  A friend has permission to on the property he is renting a house on for Coyotes.  So, I might head to Berks as well.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
District 2

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
First Coyote
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 07:53:32 PM »
swarter2,

Congrats!!!!  and great story.

bootmud

Offline matt75bronco

First Coyote
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
Great Job!

I am still trying for my first dog.

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
First Coyote
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 08:58:39 PM »
Thanks guys.  Even though it is my first.  I think I'm hooked.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
District 2

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
First Coyote
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 09:52:31 PM »
Swarter...great job...and great story.

I'm right there with you Matt...still waiting to get broken in    :cry:
It'll come in due time.

Shawn
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline keystoneman 85

• Seasoned Forum Member
First Coyote
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 08:00:33 AM »
Awesome, I'm still waiting for my frist as well.  What area of eastern Pa are you from/hunting?
Sore Lip 'Em All -- Catch & Release

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
First Coyote
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 08:47:54 PM »
I'm from SE PA.  The dog was taking in Bucks county north of Doylestown.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
District 2