Author Topic: Coyote Howling  (Read 3079 times)

Offline Treitz2010

Coyote Howling
« on: February 23, 2015, 08:40:22 PM »
Hey everyone, fairly new to coyote hunting and just getting started. I know the basics about timing of the stand, wind direction, etc. but was hoping for a little advice. Recently I started a bait pile in my field and we've recently been hearing howling as recently as tonight and catching on the trail camera over the pile. Would you suggest setting up using calls around the bait site or simply just waiting for them to come in? If you would suggest calling, what calls would you recommend on the FoxPro this time of year to get them to be moving in? I'm hoping to get out there relatively soon and any advice would be helpful as I don't want to screw a good thing up!...just tough to get out here during the work week!  :(

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
Re: Coyote Howling
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 08:47:32 PM »
If you know what time ie: trail cam pattern of pics showing time and day and from what direction. Get your wind right as to not interfere with their approach and sit back and wait. If they are there at 10:30 every night get set up @ 9:30 and keep the gun handy.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Treitz2010

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 09:07:27 PM »
What color filter do you normally use on your light? Any difference between green and red?

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 09:30:16 PM »
I use red but others swear by green and even white, it's all about personal preference.
Darin Hosier
Pro Staff

Offline Treitz2010

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 09:33:11 PM »
Thanks for the help!

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 09:35:49 PM »
No problem! There are probably 10 better answers to your question but that is what I would do myself. It may be wrong but it's worth a shot.
Darin Hosier
Pro Staff

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 09:59:16 PM »
Another thing with running dogs that don't understand for the mc hunt is that someone can run 5 dogs and not have to pay for them. But I can't have someone run my ecaller or shine the light or even have 5 guys walk through the woods and put a drive for coyotes if they are not signed up and paid for.

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 10:17:51 PM »
Wfo204 wrong thread bud.
Darin Hosier
Pro Staff

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 02:09:40 AM »
since your new and you are catching them on video on your bait pile you would be better to set with the wind in your face with a good view of the bait pile and use a well scoped gun on a tripod with a red light on your head and a red light on the scope... if you can determine  what time they are visiting keep the scope light on your gun turned on so not to spook them when they arrive..

One of the most important calls to learn and use is the Coyote Pup... when all else fails.. Just say they go up on a ridge and start to howl at you... Go to the Coyote Pup distress for 1 min and then shut up  for about 8 min before doing the pup again. However not to offend you.. since your new I really do think  you need to act just like your camera and catch them when they visit your pile.   Now here is something to think about.. More then anything they are coming to your bait pile down a road to where your pile is...Don't post on that road but kind of be able to see where that comes out of the woods to. If you post with the wind at your back toward the bait pile you won't even see them..   
logic here...think about this.. You don't have to use the call the tool to call them to your bait pile. they know the bait pile is there and they are coming in to eat...let us know how you make out on this.. Also do all of this set up by yourself.. don't have other people with you when you set up this particular ambush...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 02:14:04 AM by uncle buck »

Offline Treitz2010

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 09:14:45 PM »
Ok so here's an update. Tonight we went to walk down and they were already howling so we didn't go over the bait site and are Ganna have to wait til tomorrow or later. Couldn't believe it