Author Topic: red fox  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Kyle5865

• Junior Forum Member
red fox
« on: January 09, 2015, 11:24:16 AM »
Called in a red fox last night finally. As it came charging through the fence row it came out, stopped, and ran right back where it came from. I was wondering how others setup? I was standing in the field because it was a hard spot to setup on and i didn't know if others used brush to setup along or setup along the fence rows or sit in the wide open?

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: red fox
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 11:29:42 AM »
I stand out in the field in the wide open and call for reds.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Kyle5865

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 12:15:40 PM »
We were standing right in the middle of the field. I don't know if the wind gave us away or what happened. Disappointed at the least but we are going to keep on trying to get these things.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 12:35:22 PM »
Once you see eyes, keep the red light on him. 
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 04:31:35 PM »
Were you standing side by side both with lights on?  Try designating one shooter and one caller.  Caller stand right behind the shooter with no lights.  Only shooter uses light unless you get the light on him as he is coming in then it don't matter as long as you keep the light on him.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 09:15:34 PM »
if last night still had some of the  full moon left that could be the case... You can't go out into the middle of a field at all during the entire full moon period.. the more people your with the worse it is too...You have to hunt up against things during the full moon period and post inside the tree lines.. Also don't even walk in far.. I only hunt  25 yards where it's legal most of the times.. I also wear different camo when I hunt during the full moon period too.. No dark clothes like Advantage.. Wear gray clothes... Dennis Kirk even recommended that you wear white camo during the full moon.. I don't want the cops to think I'm a KKK. So I wear gray camo or even just plain gray clothes that you pick up on clearance.. Jackets, hookies, gray pants etc etc..It doesn't have to be my favorite which is Predator brand Fall Gray!!!! I actually started using that all the time now since it truly makes me stealth. My son and I both wear that pattern often... 

Offline Kyle5865

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 09:56:08 PM »
We walked in and knew there was red fox there and we didn't know how to set up for this set so we stood side by side standing. I usually run the call and the lights but I also use the shotgun. My buddy has the rifle. The fox came right out of the wood line. It was on a bee line for the call and soon as it came out, it froze and ran. I hunt a lot of fields and just wondered how everyone else sets up.

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 10:01:38 PM »
You could do what Tim Hunt4fur  does and that will work...However again during the full moon week most everyone gets busted.. I actually like to hunt myself even without my son...It's tough IMO during the full moon week...I any of you turned to the side with your light you were illuminated and the fox saw you.. make sure you keep that light on the fox and don't turn to the side.. When I hunt with a team I do stand side by side about 40 yards apart but we never turn to our sides if a predators eyes are seen in front of us.. that side turns will bust you all the time when using a light.