Author Topic: new area  (Read 3048 times)

Offline Kyle5865

• Junior Forum Member
new area
« on: January 04, 2015, 08:28:29 PM »
We just got some new land to hunt and I was wondering how you can tell that fox are in the area. I wondered if everyone puts up game cameras or go spotlighting or how everyone knows the fox are there. I talked with the farmers and they say they see them but different places and that is a large area. thanks

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
Re: new area
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 09:05:02 PM »
One way to find out what's there, is to get out and hunt it.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 09:10:23 PM »
If the farmer says there are fox there.... believe it.   Get out there and make a few sets.  just remember that fox travel.  the farmer may see them in the evening, but when you go out at night to hunt them,  they could be on the next farm over.  Stagger your hunting times until you get them patterned.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Kyle5865

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 09:46:09 PM »
We usually hunt around 9 and go until about 1am. I didn't know if there was a certain way people find these fox but we call and switch sets and different setups but just can't get them to come in.

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 10:19:58 PM »
Try starting earlier right around dusk if you can. Our best hours are from 6 to 9
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Kyle5865

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 10:31:23 PM »
Do you usually hunt farm fields or thick brush or woods?

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 10:57:57 PM »
     Darin (Bowman) and myself are the grusome twosome - we usually always hunt together.  We always hunt fields.  As a matter of fact, we will stand right out in the open in the middle of a field and call.  Like everyone, we have good nights, great nights and piss poor nights.

As Darin (Bowman) stated in his post, our best times are from dusk until about 9 or 10 pm.  We hunted hard the other night until almost 2 am, hitting numerous farms and only called in 3 fox...none of which we even got a shot off at.  Thats why its called hunting!  I don't think we even seen an eye after 10 or 10:30.  We were hunting some farms that were well over 200 acres and not a single eye.

Its all about getting out there and finding out what works for you in your areas.  We have pretty much all red fox, perhaps areas with grays are diffrent.  Its all about putting your time in the woods !!  Just my opinion.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Kyle5865

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 09:15:35 AM »
Yah we hunt all the time. Usually trying to give our stands a break. Switch them and up and try different calls when we go there. We are trying to figure out when these fox are moving and when they are coming through our sets.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 02:52:03 PM »
We just got some new land to hunt and I was wondering how you can tell that fox are in the area... or how everyone knows the fox are there.
New land...
I scout the property before I call. I look for droppings and tracks. I also pick out likely spots where I will stand and try to picture which way animal will come from. I rarely go into new, local, land cold.
Walking and scouting for sign will give you conformation on target animal and give you a feel for the land.
So seeing sign for myself, will tell me Fox are there.
Fresh dropping shows they are there now or recently. Finding old and fresh droppings indicates they feel comfortable at this spot and spend some time there plus, they been there for some time.
Tracks going in 2 different directions are good places to call over. If you can find tracks going in 4 different directions, that makes this spot 2 times better.
So seeing alot of tracks will tell you Fox are there.

Offline Kyle5865

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 10:56:57 PM »
We went to a spot tonight and we saw probably 2-4 different set of fox tracks. We don't know if that was the same fox but they were all over the field. Hopefully I can get a fox there and get them patterned in so I know when they are there.