Author Topic: wanting to go west, but where!?  (Read 1847 times)

Offline jerad188

• Junior Forum Member
  • South eastern District 5
wanting to go west, but where!?
« on: September 21, 2012, 01:49:06 PM »
I want to go west and hunt coyotes I. Some open praire where the population is dense, but how do I even begin to find an exact area if I don't know someone in particular to take me... What do I research? Gamelands?
Addicted to fur for sure

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
Re: wanting to go west, but where!?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 03:42:22 PM »
Define west, west of Pittsburgh, west of the Mississippi, west of Texas?  How long do you plan on staying?  Driving or flying?
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline jerad188

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 04:30:59 PM »
Drive for a day or so and hunt for 2 or 3 and drive back. Central u.s. I suppose.
I just started driving trucks and had to go to Oklahoma and I passed so much land that looked like it it would just be filled with yotes...
Addicted to fur for sure

Offline jerad188

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 06:06:02 PM »
I guess that's part of  my question. How far do I have to go
Addicted to fur for sure

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 06:50:14 PM »
Unless you are going to hire a guide or pay a trespass fee I would suggest you go to a state with plenty of public land.  Some states that come to mind are Utah, Arizona, Montana, these states also have a good number of coyotes, but have absolutely no "yotes".  Don't think that just because you are out west you are going to call in a lot of coyotes.  I have gone weeks and ever called one in.  Time of year, weather conditions, availability of prey species, pressure, etc.  will dictate responses.  You should plan on spending at least a week.  If you decide to come to Az let me know and I will help you all I can.   
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”