Author Topic: New Varmint Rifle  (Read 4234 times)

Offline predhunter82

• Junior Forum Member
New Varmint Rifle
« on: May 02, 2012, 08:47:30 AM »
Hey everyone I am very seriously getting another varmint rifle. I am leaning toward a savage 17HMR. This will mainly be for fox and coon. I like the Idea of the small diameter bullet this way it wont put big holes in the pelts. I currently am using a 22-250 with 55grV-max. Any thoughts or suggestions if this is the right train of thought? Any other calibers I should consider?

Thanks,
Predhunter82
Chris Gilga
District 3

Tools: T/C 22-250, Savage 10 Predator .204 Ruger, Remington 11-87 12 ga, Fox Pro Fury, EWT Kill Lights 250 and 100. Various Mouth Calls

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: New Varmint Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 11:18:22 AM »
I do not like the 17 hmr at all only thing it kills well is paper. I suggest a .223. Ammo is cheap. And you can get a wide range of different ammo to suit what you want to hunt g hogs, fox, coyote , or bobcat. The .223 is a do all caliber
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 12:00:11 PM »
.243 is my all around cal...but that said i have only ever killed two doves while hunting...BUT all of my family hunts and suggested i go with .243 cuz it does it all...i am prior service (Army 13F) so the .223 is def one of my favorites... 17 seems too small for me...idk..some people love it..some dont..good luck
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 02:12:57 PM »
I just got a .243 based off a mauser action that has been fighting me trying to reload for it but .243 is one of the calibers i always wanted but didnt have. It is a good tweener caliber. I believe it will be too heavy for fox but coyotes and bobcat with the right bullet should be allright. And even then it might be pushing it for a bobcat.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 04:49:56 PM »
17 centerfire/fireball or the 223

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 04:55:55 PM »
I think the 17 hmr is a fine gun for fox and coon.  I personnally use a .22 Hornet which is even better.  You may want to look into the .17 hornet when it comes out shortly.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline predhunter82

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 08:00:18 PM »
Tim,

When is the 17 hornet supposed to be coming out? Do you know who is going to be the first manufacture making the rifles? Last but not least is that going to be rimfire or centerfire? I am assuming centerfire but the 17 is throwing me off.
Chris Gilga
District 3

Tools: T/C 22-250, Savage 10 Predator .204 Ruger, Remington 11-87 12 ga, Fox Pro Fury, EWT Kill Lights 250 and 100. Various Mouth Calls

Offline predhunter82

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 08:10:20 PM »
Bigpen,

Thats how I feel about my 22-250. To me its an almost perfect caliber for coyotes but anything smaller and you are just going to rip holes in the hide. Thats why I am leaning towards the 17. Also I have not had to worry about the longer shots with fox and coon as I have with yotes.
Chris Gilga
District 3

Offline predhunter82

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 08:11:04 PM »
opps I meant BigBen!!! Sorry
Chris Gilga
District 3

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 10:09:58 PM »
17 hmr is fine for fox and coon.If you are in coyote territory get a centerfire.
   Fox calibers:17hmr,22 mag,22 hornet,17 fireball,17 hornet,218 bee,221 fireball
   Coyote calibers:17 fireball,218bee,221 fireball,204,223,222,22-250,243,17 Remington
I probably missed a couple but that's what came to mind.Back to the 17 hmr,Savage makes a pretty good shooter as long as you get a heavy barrel model.For accuracy CZ is hard to beat.I have used the 17 hmr for several years,the factory 20 grain will work but a 25 grain hollow point in a modified load is an excellent load for fox and coon.If it wasn't for the occasional coyote showing up I would absolutely use the 17hmr.
Choose your caliber according to your needs not by whats readly available or cheap or thats what your buddy uses.Are you shooting 120 yards or more?Is pelt value a priority?How about noise?If your hunting greys maybe a shotgun or combo gun would work well.Good luck with your decision.

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 11:17:32 PM »
Foxtrot...great advice..i will be referring to this thread when i make my next purchase..im leaning towards the .204 ruger for some reason
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 07:50:13 AM »
I can't remember now.  I will have to look back in some magazines unless somebody else comes up with it quick.  It has my interest as well.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline foxfx

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 06:15:23 PM »
In my experience, the 17HMR for fox  is fine if the shots are kept under 100yds and preferably in the head.  The 17 HMR is great for dropping coons out of trees.   The noise level, accuracy, and ammo price of a 17HMR is a pro.  Also, some counties in PA have center fire restrictions putting the 17HMR or 22MG as probably the best option in these counties.

The smaller case capacity center fire cartridges that foxtrot mentioned would probably be a better choice for zapping predators.   These cartridges would give you more range and knockdown.  I hate to see critters crawl away after being shot.  I like the bang-flop experience.   Everyone has their favorite calibers and these discussions come up quite a bit.  As for me..... have a good relationship with my 22 hornet.

Cheers... and good luck hunting