Author Topic: Enough light?  (Read 4567 times)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Enough light?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 09:31:23 AM »
I respectfully disagree with the blinking part of your statement.  I have several fox blink at me every year that I kill.

Predators blink there eyes in the daylight too and there is no artificial light on them.

What I mean is If you notice they're blinking excessively, It will be obvious when it happens. and Usually they the "Surprise" foxes.

Ryan.

I know what Ryan means and have had it happen when I started night hunting. the fox will blink excessively and turn its head instead of looking right at you

I'm not convinced thats because of the light though.  As big ben said a lot has to do with how you use your light.  If you think its too bright then keep them in the halo.  I'm not saying i don't spook critters but i'm not convinced it's because of the light.  Predators will turn there heads often for many reasons like other predators, loking for escape or approach routes and wind direction and other noises will all make them turn thier heads.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 10:12:19 AM »
Respectfully disagree :P

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 12:56:52 PM »
No problem!  Keep em in the core! ;D
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

uncle buck

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 01:30:40 PM »
I respectfully disagree with the blinking part of your statement.  I have several fox blink at me every year that I kill.

Predators blink there eyes in the daylight too and there is no artificial light on them.

But Dennis Kirk said that's what blinking means in his now 26 + year old How to fox hunting book !!!!  LOL  LOL   Just joking...

Actually... If the light is to bright and it hurts their eyes... They ain't going to stay around to even let you see them blink,,,There going to be gone in a minisecond..

Now I have had a few VIXEN's wink at me in my time!!!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 01:32:34 PM by uncle buck »

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 02:05:52 PM »
its amazing how some people can call in animals on video with 1 million candlepower white spotlights and still call them into 20 yds.  these guys come to mind.  http://www.predatorpursuit.com/
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 06:10:55 PM »

But Dennis Kirk said that's what blinking means in his now 26 + year old How to fox hunting book !!!!  LOL  LOL   Just joking...

Actually... If the light is to bright and it hurts their eyes... They ain't going to stay around to even let you see them blink,,,There going to be gone in a minisecond..

Now I have had a few VIXEN's wink at me in my time!!!

Had a red hang up in a tree line for more than 5 minutes doing this blinking, ducking behind a log, and head turning. I think the white 1million CP was too much for it. It hasnt happened since I switched to red light. So it DID stay for more than a minisecond( also have a witness). Maybe its just the Lawrence co fox.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 05:00:53 PM »
I might have agreed with you earlier if you told me it was a white light.  That changes everything.