Author Topic: How accurate is your gun?  (Read 3708 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
How accurate is your gun?
« on: March 28, 2011, 07:16:39 PM »
Here's where you can brag up your favorite predator gun.What is it?what caliber? loads used, grouping at 100 yards etc. be honest..To narrow it down a bit,only calibers or shotguns used for fox.

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: How accurate is your gun?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 09:07:03 PM »
Mine would be the model 7 predator in a 17 fireball. At 100yards its is 3/4" groups shooting 20g accutip. It was shooting about 1 to 1 1/4" untill I floated the barrel. Thinking about bedding the action next but dont know. Maybe even try reloading for it if I could find the time. lol

2ed choice for fox would be 22 mag. Best I could get is 3/4" at 50 yards with hornady 30g v-max

My spread gun that I take out sometimes is a SBE. I feel good with a shot at 45 yards max shooting Dead Coyote T shot. Need to expermint with different chokes.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 09:34:51 PM »
I would be happy with a 3/4 group at a 100yds.Your probably like most other serious hunters ,always striving to make it better.

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 09:56:39 PM »
Remington 700 CDL SE SF in .17 fireball.  Shoots .60 five shot groups with handloaded Bergers.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 10:13:15 PM »
My confidence gun would be a Ruger 77/17  1 inch  at 100 yards.Just floated the barrel but have not tried it yet.Hopefully tightens up the group.Very smooth action for fast second shots if needed.20 grain hollow points are the ammo of choice.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 10:16:33 PM »
seeking coyotes,Thats excellent.Any modifications to the gun or is it stock.

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 12:31:34 AM »
So far my most accurate would the the 17 Fireball Encore  Barrel  1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with reloads with 25 grain Hornady HP.. I like the IMR 8208 XBR powder..

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 07:38:03 PM »
UB,I don't think you can improve much with a group like that.

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 08:22:13 PM »
My most accurate is my Rem 788 in the .223 caliber the gun has a canjar trigger and shooting the 55 gr. V-Max at 100 yards I can get 1/2 inch groups and it has been know to put one on top of the other.
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 09:42:52 PM »
UB,I don't think you can improve much with a group like that.

Recently I purchase two Hornady type gauges to measure bullet seating depth.. Just to keep the bullet off the rifling..  Hoping that by doing that I can improve it... Did not check yet..Maybe I already just lucked out and that where the bullet is already seating.. Waiting for one of the two gauges to show from mfg tomorrow..

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 04:42:33 PM »
No wonder the 17 Fireball Encore set at 1.800 shoots 1/2 inch groups with the 25 grain Hornady HP....I was only off by 10 thousandths of where it should be seated.. Going to move it up another 10 thousandths to see if it shoot better then the 1/2 inch group... If not...I'll take it back down to the 1.800 OAL.

The Midway USA Dogtown .172  20 grain HP bullets are a lot shorter.  Glad I have to gauges..I need to drop that one below the 1.800 OAL for sure...

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 08:31:23 AM »
my best long gun is my tikka m595.  it is a blued barrel walnut stock.  it will shoot moa with black hills ammo.  I used to get better groups but cleaned my gun good and it opened up to moa.  I hope to do some reloading this year though to help bring it in better with a clean barrel.  the black hills ammo I get good groups with is the 36gr varmit grenades. 55gr psp(this is my main load for fur hunting) and 50gr vmax.

shotguns.  there is too many variables and what I want it for.  depending on the cover as well.  my best shooting shotgun is my berretta silver mallard.  I bought this gun when I was younger and was my first gun I bought.  it was a nwtf package that came with fiber optic sights and a turkey choke.  I have sent many a loads down the barrel at clays and unsuspecting critters.  I finally gave it a good cleaning last year.  I was noticing in cold weather it was cycling slow.  now its back to like new.  I just put a dead ringer site on it I got from the outdoor show.  I used it the other weekend to hunt pheasants and chukars at a local game preserve and I still love this gun.  it shoots good.  its dependable and 3"mags have the brunt taken out of them with the semi action.  I wasn't sure how I would like the sight for wing shooting because I am used to a small fiber optic bead.  I hardly noticed it and found myself keeping my head down on the gun better.  not sure how it will work on fox or coyote since I got it late in the season and have done no fur hunting with it but sight it in. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”