Author Topic: bobcat season change?  (Read 2285 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
bobcat season change?
« on: April 12, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
seen this posted on HPA.  taken from blueticks notes here http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2211424

Page 11 Delaney - bobcat - change the hunting date from Jan 17 to Feb 7.

My reason is conversation with PA Fox and Yote hunters. This will allow use to avoid the late flint hunters and remove conflict with them.

Martone - While I agree, I have concern. I do not see this as just a shift of harvest. I think this will be additive. With only one season under our belt, we don't know.

The dog folks also do not want to run dogs during trapping season. If e come back next year and have complaints that they are training dogs during this time i will be very upset.

Schreffler - We are not just shifting a season. This is almost like doubling the season. I also think it will increase the number of hunters. I have the same concerns of Comm Martone on training dogs. Last year 27% of the total take was by hunters, not trappers. The first season was 54% higher than estimated. My big concern is that dogs are much more effective, we need to be careful.

I am opposed to this amendment.

Boop - I also have some concerns as the other commissioners. Permits allowed for a longer season. Now we have the opposite. We need to control the season length to control harvest. Overall, I support this amendment.

Isabella - I need to put up the red flag on this amendment. The hounds are very effective. We need to go with caution and delay this for one more year to see the results of the harvest. Worst case - we delay this one year. The trappers have concerns, hounds men stated dogs are very effective.

Delaney - Two years ago staff supported going from permits to an open season. In January we asked the biologist and he said we could move forward with this season going carefully. I am sure we can do this with bobcats.

Schreffler - What percentage of the hunters are hounds men.

Dubroke - 27% of the bobcat take was from hunting. 8% of the hunting harvest was from hounds. 70% of the remainder was from other hunting methods.

MARTONE - DELAY OR NOT - WE ARE NOT GOING TO LEARN ANY MORE ABOUT THE HARVEST RESULTS BY DELAYING.

Weaner - We have a motion.

Vote 6 - 2 No Schreffler Isabella

any thoughts?  
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 12:15:33 PM by bigben »
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

Re: bobcat season change?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 01:46:28 PM »
So it looks like it passed the vote was 6-2..????Is this how it reads? The 2 No votes was Schreffler Isabella.  I did the poll on here to see how PPHA members felt...

Not to active of a vote on the poll..
Looked like 8 people were against, 4 wanted the change and 2 did not care..

http://www.ppha.us/smf/index.php?topic=5830.0
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:49:06 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 04:38:58 PM »
I think its too early in the new regulations to split or have an extra season.  I think this will increase the kill even more.  One season does not offer enough data for comparison.  The first year for any law or season change not limiting the amount of hunters will always see an increase.  It will take a couple years to level off if its going to.  You would then have sufficiant data for evaluation.  Why rush into it too soon and kill the population so all the nay sayers can say I told you so.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 10:52:27 AM »
scientifically, you should always do something 3 times until you make a qualified truthful statement about such data findings...so I'd hold off for two more seasons at least, before making a decision...that being said, it seems insanely stupid for the PGC to go about this, but at the same time they know more about it than we do, maybe there is something they got that we don't to make their decisions (as in taking our 1st year harvest and plotting it against lets say michigans 1st year harvest taking into effect estimated population density of bobcats, # of hunters, # of days to hunt/trap/run hounds, and harvest ratio). They may be seeing that in 7 other states after opening the season with compariable numbers in bobcats, sportsmen, days to harvest, and harvest that opening the season longer in those states didn't hurt. the only gray area of that data comparison, is no one has as many liscened hunters than PA, not even close. I would have to believe that the PGC is then doing the math, and hoping that everything comes out linear in comparison to make it correct, if you all understand what i'm saying. All i'm saying, without knowing the facts, I would do something at least 3 times before making a decision I can stand behind, but I'm sure there are ways to do it. I honestly don't think the PGC is out to reduce the #'s of bobcats intentionally, and they aren't putting together this season on a whim.
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 08:03:50 PM »
piondexter!

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 09:19:09 PM »
That was way to deep for me.  ???
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 12:39:32 AM »
spell it out gentlemen ;D
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"