Author Topic: Foxes while coyote hunting  (Read 1926 times)

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
Foxes while coyote hunting
« on: March 15, 2011, 06:48:35 PM »
As we all know fox season has come to a close now, so when i had a huge red fox come into my calls while coyote hunting i was bummed that i couldn't take it. My friend and i had set up on the side of a hill were a cut corn field came into a grass field that was over looking a fence row that we knew had many fox dens on it. we had also seen coyote tracks in the area and the previouse year there had been 4 coyotes trapped in the same farm. It was the second location of the evening, and we had made one previouse stand on the same property along a small gutter that had a corn field to the top of it. Not long after calling in the first location a flock of 100 geese landed in the field so we decided to just wait there until the geese left in hopes that a coyote would be intereested in the many geese, but there were no dogs insite. we then moved up to the second location and proceded in calling. we had got to the second location just as it was getting dark so we could still see. i did some rabbit calling on my primos hot dog call that is meant to be a howler but i think that its distress sounds are just as good as any other mouth call that i have. with nothing in site i tried a few locator, female invitation, and challenge howls but there were still no coyotes. by this time it was almost totaly dark. i shined the lite down to the fencerow and there stood a huge red fox only about a hundred yards awaay.. i had always thought that the foxes would be scared off by the howls but in this case it came rite into them. i am certain that it was a fox and not a small coyote because i could see red fur and black ears and feet. can anyone else explain what caused this fox to come to the howls? my guess is that it was just real curiouse and probably a dominant male wondering what a coyote was doing on his territory. it still made for an interesting hunt!

uncle buck

Re: Foxes while coyote hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 06:56:02 PM »
Some red fox can get big and will try to take a even a coyote pup or a small dog... Could be he thought that your sounds was a pup?????????
Many times when I do call in a red fox when using the Gray Fox Pup it's a large fox..They come in and take a look see and move on fast.. So you got to nail them before they depart the area..
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 06:57:14 PM by uncle buck »

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 04:30:08 PM »
this one sat there for at least 4 minuits. we shut up calling once we saw him though. it was right near its den so it was prob just saying, hey get off my land buddy. he was probably suprised to see that there was no coyote there lol

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 06:55:54 AM »
coonreaper say- ...was probably suprised to see that there was no coyote
And relieved not to see a Coyote and was anticipating his next move.
I have Reds/Greys appear while using Coyote sounds and it make me lift my hat and wonder. I guess there are no rules when call'n. Every stand is like Christmas morning.

I do some trapping also. I have caught doubles on Coyote/Fox (Reds or Greys), 5' to 6' apart and it makes me wonder...who was here first?
Have had doubles on Coon/Fox, Dog/Fox, Dog/Coon, Cat/Fox and on and on and on different combinations and always wonder why?
I wish I could sit down with a Fox and Coyote and be able to talk with them for an hour or two.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 12:04:49 PM »
 :D Hern I can visualy picture that...you with a glass of home made wine sitting cross legged and conversing with a fox and coyote sitting in front of you  :o ;D ;)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member