Author Topic: Day or Night hunting  (Read 2822 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Day or Night hunting
« on: March 07, 2011, 09:01:57 PM »
What time do you consider prime time for coyote hunting this time of year.I have called them in at night as well as early mornings but not on a consistant basis as to determine a prime time.One thing I don't like about day time calling with hand calls is drawing their attention right at me.I sometimes use a downwind shooter but not always possible.Maybe I need electronics.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Day or Night hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 09:07:33 PM »
Didn't you just win an electronic call?  Did you get the stuff?
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:13:25 PM »
I not complaining but I don't think it has what it takes to call in a coyote this time of year.Should work for fox though in season.

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 11:59:21 PM »
10:00 PM to Sun Up...

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 08:48:28 AM »
You wanna borrow my scorpion?
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 04:54:58 PM »
IMO it would be first thing in the morning to make your setup or right before dark. Reason is you have a better chance to see them during the day vs night. To give to an example Mosquito creek weekend when night hunting as i love to see those glowing eyes. We made three stands and called in 3 coyotes with not one shot be fired. The weekend before same thing called one in and could see the eyes with no problem but again no shot being fired. If we would of waited for daylight to come we would have been able to shoot at all 4 coyotes not saying that we would of kill them but would have had gotten off a shot lol. But then again this was all done in the big woods. I have called them in and killed at night but my calling them in to killing ratio drops alot at night. As much as I love to see those eyes coming in at night I am going to start during the daylight hours.The time at night with these coyotes being called in were from 10pm till 4:30 am. Don't forget to post your pics foxtrot  ;D.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 07:02:05 PM »
Now I'm really confused.Looks like one for night hunting and one for day hunting.Brushwolf,how come no shots were fired at night?Did they bust you downwind?
  U.B. Do you base your opinion on mostly farmland hunting or mountains?
 Thanks for the offer Tim,I've just been on a hand call kick for a while and would like to figure out a good system for coyotes using hand calls.Its diffently more challenging but you sure get a rush when you call stuff in making the sounds yourself.I'm wondering if the farmland dogs are maybe more active at night when there is farming activities going on and the mountain dogs are more active in the daylight hours.In my limited experiences hunting coyotes I have called in almost all farmland dogs at night.The mountain dogs more so morning and evening.     

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 08:20:34 PM »
All was about 50 to 60 yards when I seen the eyes and was behind limbs of oak trees or to much mt laurel. Was not confident enough to take the shot at dark even with a kill light 250. But the ones that my partners or I killed at night was in the farmland at night.I should of added I would hunt one at night if their is one in the farmland. I guess most of it comes down to your setup day or night or if you feel more confident hunting the coyote day or night. My brother in law and I  haven't been busted downwind this season when we setup strictly for coyotes. Why? We know exactly where they are before we make a setup. I know what you are saying about calling with mouth calls. The one that Bees donated for the District 4  season hunt does not just look good but sounds very good. Hopefully this weekend I will get some use out of it. Good luck foxtrot.

Just wanted to tell you a couple of week ago their was a topic on here about locating with a siren. Well about 2 months ago I bought a E.L.K siren.At one place where I located I used the siren just like the directions said with no responce.Then I thought I will try the locater. One responded at the same place where I used the siren a min or 2 before I used a coyote locater. I just wanted to tell you I don't have much confident in the siren. At least it did not work for that yote.  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:22:24 PM by Brushwolf »

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 09:22:12 PM »
I have called them in both areas but I would have to say that lately it's been more farm lands in populated areas... I think human activity tends to quiet down and the coyotes feel safer... I  wouldn't even think of hunting them in the daytime on some of the places I call them in..

Night time you need to come up with a good scanning light, a good shooting light, and a good rifle rest...You will get shots if you do that at night..

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 09:41:49 PM »
Thanks for the good info guys.