Author Topic: Hunting Coyotes With Dogs On Small Farms  (Read 2519 times)

uncle buck

Hunting Coyotes With Dogs On Small Farms
« on: March 03, 2011, 11:39:13 AM »
I would think it would be near impossible to do unless you had permission from many land owners..Dogs start chasing coyotes in populated areas and at the blink of a eye they are now on some other persons property.  What made me think of this... I notice that during the Mosquito Creek hunt this year...Coyote harvest with dogs did not occur in SCPA..Can I assume then coyote hunting with dogs is best in the rural areas or the mountains... That good news for me where I live if it's true???  Kind of preserves an area of the state that and will be calling territory only...
Also trying to get over to farm B from Farm A and or C or D could be dangerous to people in vehicles on the roads..
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:51:04 AM by uncle buck »

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Hunting Coyotes With Dogs On Small Farms
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 06:57:34 AM »
one group by my house killed 9 coyotes last week. 

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 11:36:41 AM »
one group by my house killed 9 coyotes last week. 
:-[ :-[

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
  • I am NOT the Whitefeather on HuntingPA.com!!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 05:50:17 PM »
A friend of mine up in Wyoming county keeps telling me I need to come up and hunt.  His friend hunts coyotes with dogs often.  He has GPS collars on his dogs and is able to watch them for miles.  These dogs chase those coyotes for MILES!  Everone up there knows him and knows he hunts with dogs and no one cares.  Most people hate coyotes and certainly promote killing them.  They chase em from town to town, across highways through farms and every which way. 
Chris Deckard  District 2

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 07:52:57 AM »
i have ran yotes a few times with some friends.  they never worried about getting permission.  we have ran yotes for 10miles over a day through countless farms.   locals or land owners stop and ask what we are doing, we tell them running coyotes. they don't seem to mind, or they tell us to kill them all.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 08:49:21 PM »
Coyote hound hunters use farms in my area. UB, maybe you have too many roads or major highways in your area for a hound to run?
30-40 years ago, Coon and Fox hound hunters were as thick as trappers.
I recall asking about if they had permission everywhere they ran....I got the same answers, back then, as one gets today about Coyote hound hunters. They want 'em all killed!

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 12:32:32 AM »
yep Hern...You got Interstate 81,  Route 15, Interstate 83,   the Pa Turnpike and county roads all running to them.  I would think in Cumberland and in the populated areas Dauphin County outskirts... Dogs would be killed by cars going from point A to Point B.   We also have coyote huggers around here too...They claim they keep the fieldmice and rabbit populations  down...  Nurseries and orchard owners can't get enough of that there Coyote Hugging.

It's so populated that I have called coyotes down the county roads a few times..  I would have been breaking the law if I shot them.. Last week I saw one, coyote  hitchhiking  on RT 15... ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 12:40:08 AM by uncle buck »